Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to fire my junior
If you have concerns about integrity or patient safety then just bump it up to your PD. You won't be there long enough to necessarily see it through. It is very hard to get a resident fired.
(11-27-2021, 10:30 AM)Guest Wrote: I’m a chief and my PGY3 sucks. How do I get him fired?

Are you my chief? lol If so I agree
(11-27-2021, 03:42 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-27-2021, 03:28 PM)Guest Wrote: In what ways does he suck?

He is an annoying individual. He make the occasional mistake but is one of those residents who talks back when you critique him. I’ve been pointing out every tiny mistake he makes, so I’m building the list. The PD will probably use him through call for the remainder of his year, then I’ll get him “remediated” and eventually he won’t be my problem anymore

On a separate note, do juniors who get disciplined for whatever reason get stuck with more call? For what reasons would this happen? I've noticed a couple of times that one junior would be on call (days, weekends) much more often than the other juniors, and always wondered how that happened.
(11-28-2021, 09:01 PM)Guest Wrote:

He is an annoying individual. He make the occasional mistake but is one of those residents who talks back when you critique him. I’ve been pointing out every tiny mistake he makes, so I’m building the list. The PD will probably use him through call for the remainder of his year, then I’ll get him “remediated” and eventually he won’t be my problem anymore

On a separate note, do juniors who get disciplined for whatever reason get stuck with more call? For what reasons would this happen? I've noticed a couple of times that one junior would be on call (days, weekends) much more often than the other juniors, and always wondered how that happened.

In my experience it’s that they’re the more reliable resident and end up being the go-to, fair or not.
If someone does get fired what do they even do?

Jesus you sound like my chief- I wish nothing but horrible things for you in the future
(01-19-2022, 02:45 PM)Guest Wrote: If someone does get fired what do they even do?

Their life is destroyed. I hope this fucker OP does not fire. What a horrible thing to do. 

I once knew a low-life lab tech who was a professor. She would expel students for poor lab performance in the med sciences program. What  an evil person. This sort of thing is common amongst mid-level people, who suffer from jealousy and inferiority, but still occurs amongst doctors too.
i know someone going through this and is on the brink even though clinically he's fantastic
(01-19-2022, 03:18 PM)Guest Wrote: i know someone going through this and is on the brink even though clinically he's fantastic

why are they doing this to him? What wrong has this man done?
1. Point out all of his errors to my program directors.
2. Point out his ICU errors to the ICU attendings. This way when attending-to-attendings talk, the leadership thinks this is a wide spread problem
3. Don’t fix his mistakes. If he didn’t restart home meds or order the postop spine imaging, don’t order it for him. Wait until someone else recognizes that mistake and fixes it. Then approach that person, and thank him of her for fixing the mistake and considerate on “how this is always happening”, and “leadership knows about it and keeping track of this.” Encourage them to point out the mistakes.
4. When leadership accepts that they have a problem resident, step forward to “help” the resident improve. Offer mentorship, phone calls, and teaching sessions. Do them. Once you’ve done them, keep doing steps 1-3. Then sadly inform leadership, that the problem resident just isn’t improving. Subtly suggest that it’s not only aptitude but also attitude. And now his negative attitude is poisoning the well of the rest of the resident pool.
5. Keep escalating, until he he is placed on a performance improvement plan. By this time, the junior resident should be flustered and worried about his job. It should be a downward spiral from here. Continue to offer your support. You’ve almost got this.
(01-19-2022, 08:35 PM)You’re toxic and I hope that people treat you just as well as you treat them Guest Wrote: 1. Point out all of his errors to my program directors.
2. Point out his ICU errors to the ICU attendings. This way when attending-to-attendings talk, the leadership thinks this is a wide spread problem
3. Don’t fix his mistakes. If he didn’t restart home meds or order the postop spine imaging, don’t order it for him. Wait until someone else recognizes that mistake and fixes it. Then approach that person, and thank him of her for fixing the mistake and considerate on “how this is always happening”, and “leadership knows about it and keeping track of this.” Encourage them to point out the mistakes.
4. When leadership accepts that they have a problem resident, step forward to “help” the resident improve. Offer mentorship, phone calls, and teaching sessions. Do them. Once you’ve done them, keep doing steps 1-3. Then sadly inform leadership, that the problem resident just isn’t improving. Subtly suggest that it’s not only aptitude but also attitude. And now his negative attitude is poisoning the well of the rest of the resident pool.
5. Keep escalating, until he he is placed on a performance improvement plan. By this time, the junior resident should be flustered and worried about his job. It should be a downward spiral from here. Continue to offer your support. You’ve almost got this.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)