Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayo Rochester
You sound like you've never stepped into the real world if you can't wrap your head around this. Life is unfair, if you haven't noticed. Neurosurgery, probably more than many other fields, is about reputation and talks behind the scenes. Many top-name programs like Hopkins, the Harvards, UCSF, are very inbred in who they take for residency as well as faculty. Academic medicine is very much about connections.

Yes, Mayo, as well as Barrow, are top-notch programs that don't care much about that, which has to do with their history as well as the fact that both of them are totally ok with graduating, at least in part, neurosurgeons who go into PP
i can't understand why they don't try to make it more fair. yes i understand that 'life isn't fair' but i can't understand going out of your way to make it more unfair.
Cuz u suk. Need good grades to get inta good schools. U go to shit school shows u shit tier college grad. Work yet way up
People think they can do anything these days, this is such a toxic millennial attitude

Just accept your fate as an average private practice neurosurgeon, not everyone needs to be a high-powered academic neurosurgeon in Boston, NYC, SF
(12-02-2021, 08:29 AM)Guest Wrote: Cuz u suk. Need good grades to get inta good schools.  U go to shit school shows u shit tier college grad.   Work yet way up

this is simply not true. i got top grades, top mcat and great research, but was sabotaged by someone, I won't go into details.
You mean make it more fair such as having a standardized exam that levels the playing field for all applicants? Sounds nice, too bad we got rid of (part of) it. In a world where you can't trust clinical grades because of grade inflation and pass fail standardized tests there are limited objective metrics. We can't have every applicant do a sub i at every program. Even research output is biased due to proliferation of publications, paper swapping, and the fact that research output is also tied to school rank. So, yes, coming from a top 20 institution gets you an extra few points on my interview sheet because if nothing else it is objectively harder to get into Harvard then a low tier medical school and I have very little else to grade people on anymore.
(12-02-2021, 02:43 PM)Focus Wrote: You mean make it more fair such as having a standardized exam that levels the playing field for all applicants? Sounds nice, too bad we got rid of (part of) it. In a world where you can't trust clinical grades because of grade inflation and pass fail standardized tests there are limited objective metrics. We can't have every applicant do a sub i at every program. Even research output is biased due to proliferation of publications, paper swapping, and the fact that research output is also tied to school rank. So, yes, coming from a top 20 institution gets you an extra few points on my interview sheet because if nothing else it is objectively harder to get into Harvard then a low tier medical school and I have very little else to grade people on anymore.

Thank you good sir for another forthright and considerate response. I come from a bottom of the barrel med school. I am currently working with a NS at a well-respected place (virtually, as the NS is hundreds of miles away) on some chart reviews and stuff. In addition to passing my classes and not causing problems, is their anything else I can be doing to improve my competitiveness?
MS1 currently. 

Thank you again.
(12-02-2021, 09:09 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 02:43 PM)Focus Wrote: You mean make it more fair such as having a standardized exam that levels the playing field for all applicants? Sounds nice, too bad we got rid of (part of) it. In a world where you can't trust clinical grades because of grade inflation and pass fail standardized tests there are limited objective metrics. We can't have every applicant do a sub i at every program. Even research output is biased due to proliferation of publications, paper swapping, and the fact that research output is also tied to school rank. So, yes, coming from a top 20 institution gets you an extra few points on my interview sheet because if nothing else it is objectively harder to get into Harvard then a low tier medical school and I have very little else to grade people on anymore.

Thank you good sir for another forthright and considerate response. I come from a bottom of the barrel med school. I am currently working with a NS at a well-respected place (virtually, as the NS is hundreds of miles away) on some chart reviews and stuff. In addition to passing my classes and not causing problems, is their anything else I can be doing to improve my competitiveness?
MS1 currently. 

Thank you again.

Do well on Step 2 CK, get your projects published, do well on surgery clerkship, enjoy activities outside of medicine
Is it possible to do a Sub-I at Mayo without step 1 ?
the local prometric center has closed.
(12-02-2021, 09:09 PM)Guest Wrote:

MS1 currently. 

Thank you again.

What the poster to above me said and also take a year or more off for research.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)