Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most female and POC friendly programs?
(12-05-2021, 08:56 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 07:27 PM)Guest Wrote: Vanderbilt:

https://twitter.com/lola_chambless/statu...41795?s=21

https://twitter.com/lola_chambless/statu...44129?s=21

what the fuck is going on at vandy? The PD is openly racist and sexist. Why is an openly racist, prejudiced, and sexist person allowed to be a faculty, let alone PD? why is sexism and racism tolerated in this field?
What a clown you are. How about you try to articulate an opinion like she did? I see no racism nor sexism in what she wrote
(12-06-2021, 02:58 AM)Guest Wrote:

what the fuck is going on at vandy? The PD is openly racist and sexist. Why is an openly racist, prejudiced, and sexist person allowed to be a faculty, let alone PD? why is sexism and racism tolerated in this field?
What a clown you are. How about you try to articulate an opinion like she did? I see no racism nor sexism in what she wrote

She wrote: "Esp if applicant is a US born white male from a top private institution"

Now suppose she wrote: "Esp if applicant is a US born black male from a top private institution"

That would be considered racist -- and rightfully so. 

Why is racism acceptable? I believe that everyone should be treated equally, I guess I am wrong??? 
(12-06-2021, 03:53 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-06-2021, 02:58 AM)Guest Wrote:

She wrote: "Esp if applicant is a US born white male from a top private institution"

Now suppose she wrote: "Esp if applicant is a US born black male from a top private institution"

That would be considered racist -- and rightfully so. 

Why is racism acceptable? I believe that everyone should be treated equally, I guess I am wrong??? 

You know exactly what this means. There is no applicant that is “diverse” the environment/community created by a pool of backgrounds can be diverse. 

Particularly a while male from a top private institution doesn’t fit the bill even if the writer misinterpreted the meaning of the word and it’s application because the majority of neurosurgery is white, male, elites. Hence, this background is ESPECIALLY not “diverse” even in the misuse of the term because by definition that background is the majority, the status quo, and the landscape of the lack of diversity in the field for centuries. 

Don’t hurt yourself with that reach next time.

To the OP’s question:

Before interviews look at the demographics of the department at every level: resident distribution, total # of women/POC yea, but also are there women spread across the years in the residency program? That says it’s a priority at every match, not just a recent scramble to “add more women”. Total residents that you can visibly tell are POC, then also check bios/background for “white passing” POC. If majority are white passing, I would consider that as well. Look at vice chairs, APDs, division chiefs, etc. are there women/POC in those roles?

During interviews: All about the carefully crafted questions on values, vision, long term goals of the department. As both at the program level and the faculty level. What are some of the department’s long term goals for creating their ideal residency? Pay attention to what their priorities are. A program that is committed to inclusion will always discuss it when given an opportunity like that. There are some chairs that have their own specific goals for their program and you will hear it very clearly if inclusion is part of that. Look for women/POC in leadership positions especially and ask them directly in interviews about history/change in the department.
UNC is very female friendly. Dr. Quinsey has been a great mentor for female medical students, and residents.
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Many people here disagree, sadly.
(12-06-2021, 11:11 PM)Guest Wrote: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

And we've judged you on the content of your character. You can go home now. Bye!
(12-06-2021, 11:11 PM)Guest Wrote: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

which, back to chambless' tweet, was not concordant with such a dream. that applicant was being judged based on the color of his skin, gender, where he went to school, and one phrase in his LOR. the dream goes all directions. skin color does not necessarily equal character, diversity, or lack thereof.
Who cares if she’s mean? There’s plenty of mean old white dudes out there. Women and POC should be allowed to be as asshole as they want too. That’s equal rights.
(12-07-2021, 06:07 PM)Guest Wrote: Who cares if she’s mean? There’s plenty of mean old white dudes out there. Women and POC should be allowed to be as asshole as they want too. That’s equal rights.

No one said she is mean. We are simply observing that she openly judges applicants according to gender and race. She is openly prejudiced against a certain group of people. 

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't want a racist operating on me.
Lola Chambless openly boasts about discriminating against white men. Appalling. Disgusting. Unprofessional.

Wouldn't want her to be my neurosurgeon. 0 tolerance for racism, please.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)