Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most female and POC friendly programs?
(12-07-2021, 11:53 PM)Guest Wrote: Lola Chambless openly boasts about discriminating against white men. Appalling. Disgusting. Unprofessional.

Wouldn't want her to be my neurosurgeon. 0 tolerance for racism, please.

Sounds like you're afraid she might treat you the way you have always treated women and POC.
(12-07-2021, 11:53 PM)Guest Wrote: Lola Chambless openly boasts about discriminating against white men. Appalling. Disgusting. Unprofessional.

Please look at the Vanderbilt residency cohort and tell me how she discriminates against white men. Some of y'all truly have no idea what it means to not see yourself represented. Perhaps worse, someone championing diversity which we should all welcome is somehow an attack against white men... Truthfully neurosurgery applicant's constant uproar about such an amazing PD/neurosurgeon is a damning reflection on the current state of sexism in this field. Do better.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
This is not about fair representation or equality of outcomes, it is about equality of opportunities. It does not seem to be relevant whether women are equally represented if they do not have the same qualifications for a given position. The problem here is that there is nothing more sexist and racist to pretend to have a fair equal representation between different cohorts when the qualifications are so uneven.

“Women are not equally represented” well, we will have to do a multivatiable analysis to ascertain if they are less likely to have a PhD, produce less RVU, less number of publications… just bringing some numbers comparing one variable (male/female; white/black) is absurd and bizarre. If so, and you think that all of this is because of the system, just focus on create a fair system that provides same opportunities, but avoid creating a bias to select worse candidates just because they belong to a minority. Patients will suffer the consequences
(12-08-2021, 12:26 PM)celticsg17 Wrote:

Please look at the Vanderbilt residency cohort and tell me how she discriminates against white men. Some of y'all truly have no idea what it means to not see yourself represented. Perhaps worse, someone championing diversity which we should all welcome is somehow an attack against white men... Truthfully neurosurgery applicant's constant uproar about such an amazing PD/neurosurgeon is a damning reflection on the current state of sexism in this field. Do better.  

"somehow"??? She deliberately singled out white men for criticism, based solely on race and gender.
Equity and equality are not the same thing and yet the difference between these two tends to be the crux of most conflicts about this topic.
(12-08-2021, 02:37 PM)Guest Wrote:

"somehow"??? She deliberately singled out white men for criticism, based solely on race and gender.
By saying that being a straight white man, which is by far the most prevalent gender/ethnic group in neurosurgery, is not diverse.....please tell me what part of that statement is incorrect. Would you say being Black in the NBA is diverse?

white male here, matched and when I was applying I thought (and still think) that women and POC should be prioritized. If it means that to match as a white male you have to be above average then so be it, we already have the benefit of knowing how to fit in with the vast majority of neurosurgeons due to sharing the same culture, and having zero bias against us as we go through each step of the process. Agree with what Dr Chambless wrote. No one is putting white male as a negative, it is just neutral and not a positive mark.
(12-08-2021, 08:00 PM)celticsg17 Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 02:37 PM)Guest Wrote:

By saying that being a straight white man, which is by far the most prevalent gender/ethnic group in neurosurgery, is not diverse.....please tell me what part of that statement is incorrect. Would you say being Black in the NBA is diverse?

We need more white men in the NBA. We need representation. Athletic ability should be considered second.
(12-08-2021, 09:44 PM)Guest Wrote: white male here, matched and when I was applying I thought (and still think) that women and POC should be prioritized. If it means that to match as a white male you have to be above average then so be it, we already have the benefit of knowing how to fit in with the vast majority of neurosurgeons due to sharing the same culture, and having zero bias against us as we go through each step of the process. Agree with what Dr Chambless wrote. No one is putting white male as a negative, it is just neutral and not a positive mark.

Can you even understand what you wrote? If you are prioritizing one group based solely on skill color--the ability to produce melanin, nothing more--then you are automatically putting down another group based solely on color. How is this right? 

At any rate, why don't you practice what you preach? Give up your seat for a female or minority applicant. Go ahead, I'll be waiting.
(12-08-2021, 10:19 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 09:44 PM)Guest Wrote: white male here, matched and when I was applying I thought (and still think) that women and POC should be prioritized. If it means that to match as a white male you have to be above average then so be it, we already have the benefit of knowing how to fit in with the vast majority of neurosurgeons due to sharing the same culture, and having zero bias against us as we go through each step of the process. Agree with what Dr Chambless wrote. No one is putting white male as a negative, it is just neutral and not a positive mark.

Can you even understand what you wrote? If you are prioritizing one group based solely on skill color--the ability to produce melanin, nothing more--then you are automatically putting down another group based solely on color. How is this right? 

At any rate, why don't you practice what you preach? Give up your seat for a female or minority applicant. Go ahead, I'll be waiting.

Honestly, I'm a little comforted that you are this scared. For those keeping score at home, change is slow but its happening. When those like the above start to feel the heat, they whine.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)