Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I get my home PD to make the phone call to my #1 without losing rank position?
I'm in a situation where I have a good relationship with both my home PD and chair, and it's a program I would be happy to train at, I'll most likely be ranking it #2. However, there's another program that I'm going to rank #1 that I would absolutely want to go to. How do I put in my best chance to get my #1 rank (i.e. ask my home chair to call the chair at my #1) without losing my position on the rank list at my home program in case I don't get my #1? Does telling my home PD or chair that another program is my #1 cause me to drop down on their rank list?
While nobody can comment with certainty as we do not know your home PD/chair personally, they have likely been doing this for years and will be understanding that not every home student will rank them first, and if you made a good impression on them they will likely be happy to support your candidacy at your top choice.
But does that mean they'll also drop me down on their rank list?
Be happy with a bird in hand.
a bird in hand is better than 2 in a bush
YOLO..Two in the Bush X2
Send the program you want to match at a #1 email and don’t tell your program you’re doing so. Unless your chair/PD is well connected at that program it’s unlikely it’ll budge things in your favor.
Simply put, this depends on the caliber of your home program. If your home program is a good program where others will be ranking them #1 (especially if you have any other home applicants that will be doing this) then the sad reality is that if you ask your chair to send a #1 email to some place else, then they will not rank you #1. That’s just how it works. If your home program is the type of place that only 1-2 people will be ranking them #1, then chances are they will still consider you highly even if they know you prefer somewhere else.
(01-09-2022, 01:18 AM)Guest Wrote: Simply put, this depends on the caliber of your home program. If your home program is a good program where others will be ranking them #1 (especially if you have any other home applicants that will be doing this) then the sad reality is that if you ask your chair to send a #1 email to some place else, then they will not rank you #1. That’s just how it works. If your home program is the type of place that only 1-2 people will be ranking them #1, then chances are they will still consider you highly even if they know you prefer somewhere else.

Do you show your rank list to your chair or PD? 
Are they helpful with ranking programs?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)