Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hopkins
(01-24-2018, 01:51 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 01:59 AM)Guest Wrote: DnEj
(01-24-2018, 01:04 AM)ApplicationCycle2018-2019 Wrote: What is the situation with the seeming mass exodus at Hopkins? Curious if their program will sway towards recruiting talent and worker bees back to their roster.  

I was looking forward to meeting Coon (endovascular) on Interview Day (1/8), and was told he was out of town – then figured the rumors of him looking elsewhere made sense.  Something seems to be in the water in there.. Ed Ahn (peds, going to Mayo), Kaisorn Chaichana (tumor, now @Mayo ), Geoffrey Colby (endovascular/CV, now @UCLA), Jean-Paul Wolinsky (spine, now @Northwestern).. all within a year…  not to mention Gokaslan at Brown and Quinones at Mayo Jacksonville (appears their technically-gifted elite have left for greener pastures).

Coon gone. 

RE: Focus - 7 hours agoPosted by Focus - 7 hours ago

My understanding is that it may in part be financial as maryland made some interesting reimbursement changes to hozpitals.

Interesting. Reimbursement for endovascular seems to have its challenges. But based on his case series, you wouldn’t think Hopkins had a problem churning out volume bc of reimbursement - his group publishes fairly large cohorts. Hopkins is either losing money or believes in the cases and doesn’t care?

Either way, I’ve heard him give talks and seems he’s a resident fan favorite - ? maybe he’ll join the ranks of Q’s Mayo Jacksonville venture (giving a small program a substantial advantage with faculty who keep busy and like to teach) .. hoping selfishly, bc it’s a program tier I’m more realistically competitive in.

(05-31-2017, 01:59 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 08:33 PM)Guest Wrote: A friend of mine also did a sub I here and said they did nearly nothing during sub I, except quadruple scrub most days: attending, fellow, resident, than you. The above poster is being nice by saying "rigid hierarchy" [read: malignant], which hopefully has improved with the departure of some select residents, however it trickles down from some of the attendings. The whole point of doing a sub I there is to get a letter from Huang/Brem, which does carry far. If your dream residency is Hopkins, do a sub I there. If your goal is exposure to the field, maybe better to do it somewhere else.

a friend who is a resident there says its a mass exodus of faculty. wolinsky just left for northwestern and others.

UPDATE: add Colby, Chaichana, Ahn, and potentially Coon to that list. Heard Lim was interviewing on the west coast. Their super star-academic chiefs last year didn’t stay on (Goodwin is at Duke, and Elder at Mayo)

for just an applicant, you're thinking about it way too much and you need some hobbies. We're screwed if there a lot of weirdos like this applying this year.
Alex khalessi!!!!
Thoughts on Hopkins now?
Also curious about people's current thoughts on the program. Had heard it could be malignant in the past (one resident dropped out because he "wanted to do research") but current residents seem to like it there.
UCSD chairman search, anyone have updates? Thanks
(01-24-2018, 05:05 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 01:51 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 01:59 AM)Guest Wrote: DnEj
(01-24-2018, 01:04 AM)ApplicationCycle2018-2019 Wrote: What is the situation with the seeming mass exodus at Hopkins? Curious if their program will sway towards recruiting talent and worker bees back to their roster.  

I was looking forward to meeting Coon (endovascular) on Interview Day (1/8), and was told he was out of town – then figured the rumors of him looking elsewhere made sense.  Something seems to be in the water in there.. Ed Ahn (peds, going to Mayo), Kaisorn Chaichana (tumor, now @Mayo ), Geoffrey Colby (endovascular/CV, now @UCLA), Jean-Paul Wolinsky (spine, now @Northwestern).. all within a year…  not to mention Gokaslan at Brown and Quinones at Mayo Jacksonville (appears their technically-gifted elite have left for greener pastures).

Coon gone. 

RE: Focus - 7 hours agoPosted by Focus - 7 hours ago

My understanding is that it may in part be financial as maryland made some interesting reimbursement changes to hozpitals.

Interesting. Reimbursement for endovascular seems to have its challenges. But based on his case series, you wouldn’t think Hopkins had a problem churning out volume bc of reimbursement - his group publishes fairly large cohorts. Hopkins is either losing money or believes in the cases and doesn’t care?

Either way, I’ve heard him give talks and seems he’s a resident fan favorite - ? maybe he’ll join the ranks of Q’s Mayo Jacksonville venture (giving a small program a substantial advantage with faculty who keep busy and like to teach) .. hoping selfishly, bc it’s a program tier I’m more realistically competitive in.

(05-31-2017, 01:59 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 08:33 PM)Guest Wrote: A friend of mine also did a sub I here and said they did nearly nothing during sub I, except quadruple scrub most days: attending, fellow, resident, than you. The above poster is being nice by saying "rigid hierarchy" [read: malignant], which hopefully has improved with the departure of some select residents, however it trickles down from some of the attendings. The whole point of doing a sub I there is to get a letter from Huang/Brem, which does carry far. If your dream residency is Hopkins, do a sub I there. If your goal is exposure to the field, maybe better to do it somewhere else.

a friend who is a resident there says its a mass exodus of faculty. wolinsky just left for northwestern and others.

UPDATE: add Colby, Chaichana, Ahn, and potentially Coon to that list. Heard Lim was interviewing on the west coast. Their super star-academic chiefs last year didn’t stay on (Goodwin is at Duke, and Elder at Mayo)

for just an applicant, you're thinking about it way too much and you need some hobbies. We're screwed if there a lot of weirdos like this applying this year.

AND now Lim to Stanford? (https://twitter.com/thejns/status/125088...28?lang=en) WOW I guess this means Hopkins is going down the tubes. There's some scandal about to break mark my words! Better to apply anywhere than this dumpster-fire. Seriously, I hear that Wayne state and New Mexico are exciting new programs on the rise. 

-(MS1 who could never get into Hopkins to begin with, analyzing every attending move).
Hopkins is doing just fine
In their promotional materials this year, they say the average chief graduates with ~1200 cases. It'd be nice if every program provided that info
Pretty sure every program does chief, just ask
For reference in interpreting those numbers, the national median is about 1500 with standard deviation 410. So 1200 ~ 25th percentile.

(12-22-2020, 12:27 PM)Guest Wrote: For reference in interpreting those numbers, the national median is about 1500 with standard deviation 410. So 1200 ~ 25th percentile.

This is based on the ACGME 2018-2019 report.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)