Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chances (MS3) serious
Not that it really needs to be said again, but I agree with all that has been said. As is, OP's stats will be difficult to match. But with a great Step 2, some publications, good Sub-I's and clinical grades, matching well is definitely possible.

Also definitely meet with your local PD to discuss options.

HUGE DISCLAIMER: I'm just as MS3, like OP. What I said I learned from asking faculty, my PD, residents, students from my school who matched, etc.
(05-31-2017, 03:57 PM)estheezy Wrote: Aas Not that it really needs to be said again, but I agree with all that has been said. As is, OP's stats will be difficult to match. But with a great Step 2, some publications, good Sub-I's and clinical grades, matching well is definitely possible.

HUGE DISCLAIMER: I'm just as MS3, like OP. What I said I learned from asking faculty, my PD, residents, students from my school who matched, etc.

Don't give advice if you don't know, these things are affecting a real person. 60% matched in 2016 with OP's Step 1. That's not fantastic, but not "difficult to match". Getting some research, strong away performances, and a broad application list and the OP will likely be okay. Might not match at a top academic place but community and low/mid tier academic places are within reach.
(05-30-2017, 10:59 PM)Late bloomer Wrote: Urology because got a grant in field summer after first year and thought it'd be cool to explore.

Yeah urology is cool.  I really like the anatomy they do surgery on.  The tactile feedback of the surgeries is great, especially when I get to grasp the surgical field with both of my hands for long periods of time.   I really like it!!!
(05-31-2017, 05:47 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-31-2017, 03:57 PM)estheezy Wrote: Aas Not that it really needs to be said again, but I agree with all that has been said. As is, OP's stats will be difficult to match. But with a great Step 2, some publications, good Sub-I's and clinical grades, matching well is definitely possible.

Don't give advice if you don't know, these things are affecting a real person. 60% matched in 2016 with OP's Step 1. That's not fantastic, but not "difficult to match". Getting some research, strong away performances, and a broad application list and the OP will likely be okay. Might not match at a top academic place but community and low/mid tier academic places are within reach.

Yes, that is why I put the disclaimer, so that what I say can be taken with a huge grain of salt. If I'm wrong with my understanding, that is great! From what I heard, matching with a 236 and no research (current status of OP) would still be possible, but an uphill battle. If that is not correct, I am very happy to be corrected! 

And I completely agree here, adding some research and having good away rotations, and matching should be no problem at all!
(06-01-2017, 09:57 AM)estheezy Wrote: Zhwhx

Yes, that is why I put the disclaimer, so that what I say can be taken with a huge grain of salt. If I'm wrong with my understanding, that is great! From what I heard, matching with a 236 and no research (current status of OP) would still be possible, but an uphill battle. If that is not correct, I am very happy to be corrected! 

And I completely agree here, adding some research and having good away rotations, and matching should be no problem at all!

I apologize for being harsher than necessary. It is just very difficult on a completely anonymous forum to assess the credibility of someone's post. As you mentioned, you are right that a 230s with no research/no demonstrated interest in neurosurgery is a tough sell. Not impossible though if OP works ok but improving their app.

(06-01-2017, 11:57 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-01-2017, 09:57 AM)estheezy Wrote: Zhwhx

I apologize for being harsher than necessary. It is just very difficult on a completely anonymous forum to assess the credibility of someone's post. As you mentioned, you are right that a 230s with no research/no demonstrated interest in neurosurgery is a tough sell. Not impossible though if OP works ok but improving their app.

Works on improving*
you may have a chance at a 3rd tier has-been program like Emery.
(06-01-2017, 01:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Emery.

That's some 3rd tier spelling.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)