Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrow: My Investigation
(01-03-2022, 02:40 PM)Guest Wrote: I congratulate BNI on its graduates, however this list is not as good as my top 15 institution. Also, not sure I would call Carolinas academic. Excellent point too, very few can cut it in academics and then go to private practice.

I think there's a ratio of academics:private above which it's a warning sign. If you're putting 100% of your graduates into sub-specialty academic positions, either they're being brainwashed or they're not getting a well-rounded training required for a general practice environment - often both.
(01-03-2022, 09:53 AM)Guest Wrote: BNI grads over the past 6 years
Academics: 75%
Private Practice: 25%

2016:
Cerebrovascular (Allegheny)
Deformity (BNI)
Skull Base (BNI)
Cerebrovascular (UVA)

2017:
Cerebrovascular (Temple)
Private practice (Phoenix)
Deformity (Brigham)
Functional (BNI)

2018:
Functional/General (BNI)
Skull Base/Endonasal (Ohio State)
Private practice (Oregon)
Private practice (Nashville)

2019:
Deformity (Mayfield Clinic)
Deformity (Baylor)
Private practice (Miami)
Private practice (LA)

2020:
Deformity (Carolinas)
Skull Base (Brigham)
Functional (Cincinnati)
Private practice (Texas)

2021:
Deformity (UAB)
Deformity (Cedars-Sinai)
Epilepsy (Allegheny)
Skull base/CV (Maryland)

Research output

Sarkiss et al. Academic Productivity of US Neurosurgery Residents as Measured by H-Index: Program Ranking with Correlation to Faculty Productivity
Neurosurgery 2017

https://academic.oup.com/neurosurgery/ar...login=true

Just check the chart, BNI right at the top with UCSF, for both resident and faculty productivity

You only mention recent grads. It is a fact that many leave academia for PP after a few years. 

I looked at faculty at top places and found nary a Barrow grad. Point being, I can't understand the obsession it enjoys here if the grads are not making it big and not doing anything significant. 

I undervalued the clinical research. But clinical research does not involve the same depth of expertise as basic science research. Most of the clinical trials are just following instructions from the drug company. It doesn't involve original thinking. 

Barrow has a nice website and they constantly boast about "innovation" and "medical devices" but I didn't find any real inventions--other than the inventions that Barrow people have about themselves, that is.
Someone's really butthurt. If it doesn't match your vibe, fine. Why hate so much on a place that is clearly revered by every faculty in the field? And everyone here knows your hating on them, because you use exaggerations and hyperbole in every second sentence. Because people talk about it a lot? Well, as far as I heard they do a damn good job in hiring the right people to create a good vibe. Medical students appreciate that. We all know of toxic places that only care about a good CV.
Loosen up, enjoy high school
Imagine naming a thread "my investigation" and calling yourself "Busted". The cringe

Please apply for a spot at the ACGME, they're as much of a joke as you are
(01-03-2022, 08:18 PM)Guest Wrote: Someone's really butthurt. If it doesn't match your vibe, fine. Why hate so much on a place that is clearly revered by every faculty in the field? And everyone here knows your hating on them, because you use exaggerations and hyperbole in every second sentence. Because people talk about it a lot? Well, as far as I heard they do a damn good job in hiring the right people to create a good vibe. Medical students appreciate that. We all know of toxic places that only care about a good CV.
Loosen up, enjoy high school

Is it really true that they are revered by every faculty in the field? Or are you making that up?

I've talked to a few faculty and they all tell me its a "good" program. "Solid" "Good" "well-rounded" come up. Outside this nuthouse, I haven't seen any worship of Barrow.
I have never met anyone who hasn't spoken about it in the highest terms. Just being real. All my mentors told me it is excellent. I don't understand the discussion though. People know it provides great clinical training, and a good environment for clinical research. That's it. No need to compare it to the Harvards and Hopkins'
If you you want the R01/department chair/president of CNS path, go to MGH. They breed leaders.
It depends on what you're looking for. Barrow offers a really good combination of big names, incredible autonomy, and fun, normal people to be around. You could go to a traditional big name university program and suck smoke for 7 years while getting yelled at and dealing with residency drama. To each their own. Given how many people want to go there, I think most people would prefer the former.
(01-03-2022, 10:20 PM)Guest Wrote: If you you want the R01/department chair/president of CNS path, go to MGH. They breed leaders.

Finally a sane voice. All this pro-Barrow talk really irks me.
The medical student reputation is that it's the Disneyland of neurosurgery, where living gods roam the halls. Not until you send one of your patients there will most of us find out of the Easter Bunny is real.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)