Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intern year
My gen surg months were not learning about abdominal wall anatomy or running a trauma or anything else but pager holding and answering phone calls for bowel preps and doing consents I knew nothing about and writing notes. Worthless. I’d rather have an extra 6 months of neurosurgery so I can start operating 6 months earlier which is where I was stunted because I was too busy holding the pager later on.
(01-17-2022, 08:53 PM)Guest Wrote: My gen surg months were not learning about abdominal wall anatomy or running a trauma or anything else but pager holding and answering phone calls for bowel preps and doing consents I knew nothing about and writing notes. Worthless. I’d rather have an extra 6 months of neurosurgery so I can start operating 6 months earlier which is where I was stunted because I was too busy holding the pager later on.

Applicants, rank programs that don’t farm you out to other services like this. Pay attention to the intern curriculum.
(01-17-2022, 07:15 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 06:51 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 04:55 PM)Guest Wrote: The quality of US neurosurgical training has gone down since duty hours and shifting the internship away from general surgery.

Intern year w gen surg is just doing their scut work, holding pagers and taking calls anything

I do not see how writing DC summaries for Gen Surg is at all helpful for neurosurgery training. Also, I am not aware of a single program that is work hours compliant except for research years.

mayo and barrow and yale, i have heard, are work hour compliant for all 7 years
(01-17-2022, 08:53 PM)Guest Wrote: My gen surg months were not learning about abdominal wall anatomy or running a trauma or anything else but pager holding and answering phone calls for bowel preps and doing consents I knew nothing about and writing notes. Worthless. I’d rather have an extra 6 months of neurosurgery so I can start operating 6 months earlier which is where I was stunted because I was too busy holding the pager later on.

A universal law of surgical training: if you don't give a shit about what you're doing, you'll be holding the pager, answering phone calls, and going home.

If you give a shit, you'll hold the pager & answer phone calls from the OR while you fanboy about the Shouldice repair and your gen surg chief pals teach you how to open an ex-lap at 10pm for shits and giggles after the categorical gen surg interns have tapped out.
(01-17-2022, 07:15 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 06:51 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 04:55 PM)Guest Wrote: The quality of US neurosurgical training has gone down since duty hours and shifting the internship away from general surgery.

Intern year w gen surg is just doing their scut work, holding pagers and taking calls anything

I do not see how writing DC summaries for Gen Surg is at all helpful for neurosurgery training. Also, I am not aware of a single program that is work hours compliant except for research years.

You need a year of general patient care after medical school to actually become a good doctor.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)