Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Operative vs more traditional academic programs for future academic positions
You're right, I think I should have said: "poorly correlates". However, I would argue that many of the places (including a couple in your list) bear little to no resemblance to what they looked like 5-10 years ago even accounting for a change at chairman. There have been more than a few mass exodus faculty transitions at the "neurosurgeryhub top 5" in the last couple of years - and yet the medical students on here keep talking about it like those places are the same. And remember, it takes 10-15 years to get to the point where you are ready for a plum chairmanship job, so that is a massively lagging indicator.

To everyone arguing that the current world order of programs will stay the same, I would encourage you to think about UF, Cincinnati, Ohio State. All places that 20 years ago were top tier but do not necessarily fit that bill anymore. There seems to be more movement than normal right now. That's potentially some delayed movement due to COVID, but I wouldn't bet on it.
(01-27-2022, 03:52 PM)Focus Wrote: Compensate is the key word. Not replace

(03-20-2022, 03:36 PM)drstrange Wrote: You're right, I think I should have said: "poorly correlates". However, I would argue that many of the places (including a couple in your list) bear little to no resemblance to what they looked like 5-10 years ago even accounting for a change at chairman. There have been more than a few mass exodus faculty transitions at the "neurosurgeryhub top 5" in the last couple of years - and yet the medical students on here keep talking about it like those places are the same. And remember, it takes 10-15 years to get to the point where you are ready for a plum chairmanship job, so that is a massively lagging indicator.

To everyone arguing that the current world order of programs will stay the same, I would encourage you to think about UF, Cincinnati, Ohio State. All places that 20 years ago were top tier but do not necessarily fit that bill anymore. There seems to be more movement than normal right now. That's potentially some delayed movement due to COVID, but I wouldn't bet on it.

What makes Maryland a good program? You mentioned it earlier. I haven't heard much about it.
(03-20-2022, 03:36 PM)drstrange Wrote: You're right, I think I should have said: "poorly correlates". However, I would argue that many of the places (including a couple in your list) bear little to no resemblance to what they looked like 5-10 years ago even accounting for a change at chairman. There have been more than a few mass exodus faculty transitions at the "neurosurgeryhub top 5" in the last couple of years - and yet the medical students on here keep talking about it like those places are the same. And remember, it takes 10-15 years to get to the point where you are ready for a plum chairmanship job, so that is a massively lagging indicator.

Idk about Cincinnati but Ohio state and UF have some pretty cool shit going on these days tbh. I think you can get pretty solid training at pretty much anywhere with enough volume to take 2 or more residents a year
Cincinnati, Ohio state, and UF are all fantastic, and offer excellent clinical training and professional opportunities. Just because the clowns on this website don’t discuss them doesn’t mean much, no one on this website knows what they’re talking about
(03-24-2022, 08:44 AM)Guest Wrote: Cincinnati, Ohio state, and UF are all fantastic, and offer excellent clinical training and professional opportunities. Just because the clowns on this website don’t discuss them doesn’t mean much, no one on this website knows what they’re talking about

All great places.
Either or, what you do is on you and not the program. They all have the resources available for you to utilize some just may require less effort in certain areas than others. No places produce future chairman, they recruit, train, and graduate them

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)