Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will Step 2 CK affect interview selection for 22-23 cycle?
I will be applying in the 2022-2023 cycle. Rough stats: Step 1 >265, >30 journal articles, T30 medical school.

I'm currently planning on doing my home sub-I and 3 aways, which does not give me a window of time to fit in a Step 2 dedicated studying period due to my clerkships / 3rd year ending relatively late.

Will Step 1 still be the primary test score metric used for screening applicants in the 2022-2023 cycle, or will the focus already shift to Step 2 given some applicants only having P/F scores? In other words, would not having a Step 2 score by the time the ERAS closes negatively affect me in terms of interview prospects (I aim to take the exam and have a score back by the latest at the end of December, before rank lists are formed), or would it not be a big deal not having a Step 2 score by the ERAS deadline? Thank you!
No. There are going to likely be just as many applicants this year with scores Step 1 as ones with P/F reports. So they cannot possibly screen by Step 2 only. Having a strong Step 1 is in no way going to hurt you. Take it when you will do well. Send updates to your programs.
If you have a step 1 great. If you didn’t do as well as you’d have liked and want to show improvement, take CK in time for the app cycle.

If your Step 1 is pass/fail, take CK in time for the app cycle.
It makes me so depressed to see applicants like this. I can never compete.
(02-10-2022, 02:02 PM)Guest Wrote: It makes me so depressed to see applicants like this. I can never compete.

My app didn’t look like that and I got plenty of interviews and landed at an amazing program. The interview is the great equalizer and a great 15 min can put you in the sites of top places. Just be a normal, humble person and don’t let these posts get you down
(02-10-2022, 03:23 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-10-2022, 02:02 PM)Guest Wrote: It makes me so depressed to see applicants like this. I can never compete.

My app didn’t look like that and I got plenty of interviews and landed at an amazing program. The interview is the great equalizer and a great 15 min can put you in the sites of top places. Just be a normal, humble person and don’t let these posts get you down

Don't listen to this fool. Survivorship bias. If you don't have 20+ publications then you are in a very, very bad situation. You better have publications and score in the 85 percentile, if you want to go to a prestigious program.
(02-12-2022, 02:14 PM)Guest Wrote:

Don't listen to this fool. Survivorship bias. If you don't have 20+ publications then you are in a very, very bad situation. You better have publications and score in the 85 percentile, if you want to go to a prestigious program.

Or you know, have the right background.
(02-12-2022, 02:14 PM)Guest Wrote:

Dude, we all know who you are. Stop with these malignant posts that are factually not true
i hope you guys are right about neurosurgery being easy to get into. sometimes i go on med twitter and i am terrified by what i see. 20 publicatons, awards, etc. hope they go into derm or opthmo or plastics or something
Nobody said it was easy to get into. Also, get off of these f'ing social media sites

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)