Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DO in ACGME neurosurgery
Applying as a DO is an uphill battle on the same footing, if not perhaps harder (by sheer applied:matched), as applying as an FMG.  Your application will need to be stellar all around and the objective measures will have to be superior to get through the initial screening process which means high USMLEs, killing your M3/M4 rotations with the letters to back it up, AOA or the DO equivalent, dean's letter stating you're (one of) the best in your class, etc.  If you're serious about it and not getting great guidance from your school, reach out to DOs in academic neurosurgery positions and to current DO residents in ACGME programs (granted there are not many).

That said, a DO matched at UTSA this year, so it is possible. He came through our place for interviews and was awesome as a person. The DO neurosurgery match is still in place as the full integration of MD/DO COMs and GME is not done at this point. Definitely apply to the DO match as well.

Once you get to an interview, the credentials that follow your name or your USMLE score really have much less to do with how your ranked. Character, an attribute that is coveted in the selection process across surgical specialties, is hard to pinpoint and difficult to convey on paper--unless you happen to have a track record that is undeniable, i.e. extensive background in service work, military service, commendations/awards which speak to it; or prior professional career (sport, business, etc) that speaks to it. The new intern people often decry on this site would be an example. A lack thereof is one of the main reasons you read about applicants with superb metrics from excellent COMs not matching.  Character issues are a primary reason resident come under fire or are terminated. While difficult to demonstrate, a lack of character can often be gleaned from your time at a program (sub I, interview dinner, interview day); your clerkship evaluations, particularly those not with "Neurosurgery" in the title; and in your LORs/Dean's Letter.

Best of luck during the cycle.
I'm an MD but rotated through Providence Hospital (DO neurosurgery program) last year. Top notch program with lots of volume. Held its own against all the other sub-is I had at MD programs. Really surprised it's not an MD program. Research there sucked compared to some of the major academic centers but those guys operated all day everyday. The residents there were phenomenal in the OR. I'd try them out if I were a DO.

I'm the above poster. Apparently Providence is an ACGME program now.
i'm just a dumb low iq do student and this thread makes me so depresses. i feel like ill never get to be a ns. only because i had horrible parents who never let me study in college. the older i get the more i hate my parents who ruined my college grades so that i can never get into md schools, i hate life i hate the world i am so depressed, on top of that i have mild autosim and get nervous around people so i do interviews badly, and on top of that they have uslme p/f so i can never demonstrate myself. 

i don't have a fucking chance and it makes me so depressed even though i have top grades and decent research because where i go the research is shit at do schools and my undergraduate was shit with no research, i wanted to go to a good undergrad but my jealous parents stopped it and refused to fill out the financial aid and scholarship papers i feel so angry and resentful and depressed and this is so fucking unfair

why the fuck does this discrimiantion exist this is the USA supposeted to treat everyone equal but its as hard as a fucking fmg and i will never get into ns even though i do research and get top grades i feel so depressed i am so sad why my parents did this to me why they ruined me during college they just wanted to be selfish and now i pay such a fucked price

most do kids are pig stupid i get it but some like me are smart and hard working and make the most of the shit research opportunity we get but we face such big discrimination and i will never achieve my dream i am so depressed.
is it true that being a DO candidate so bad? I was not aware that it was so bad, worse than FMGs?
very depressing for DO guys
(06-23-2021, 03:23 PM)Dumb DO Wrote: i'm just a dumb low iq do student and this thread makes me so depresses. i feel like ill never get to be a ns. only because i had horrible parents who never let me study in college. the older i get the more i hate my parents who ruined my college grades so that i can never get into md schools, i hate life i hate the world i am so depressed, on top of that i have mild autosim and get nervous around people so i do interviews badly, and on top of that they have uslme p/f so i can never demonstrate myself. 

i don't have a fucking chance and it makes me so depressed even though i have top grades and decent research because where i go the research is shit at do schools and my undergraduate was shit with no research, i wanted to go to a good undergrad but my jealous parents stopped it and refused to fill out the financial aid and scholarship papers i feel so angry and resentful and depressed and this is so fucking unfair

why the fuck does this discrimiantion exist this is the USA supposeted to treat everyone equal but its as hard as a fucking fmg and i will never get into ns even though i do research and get top grades i feel so depressed i am so sad why my parents did this to me why they ruined me during college they just wanted to be selfish and now i pay such a fucked price

most do kids are pig stupid i get it but some like me are smart and hard working and make the most of the shit research opportunity we get but we face such big discrimination and i will never achieve my dream i am so depressed.

Based on how you type, I don't think you stand a chance regardless.
Try your best man…don’t let anyone crush your dreams.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)