Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nepotism in Neurosurgery
I am running my own race. But at the same time applicants ought to be aware that the scales are strongly tilted against people who are not from medical backgrounds. Furthermore, this corruption ought to be called out, as it devalues the field and demoralizes individuals. We see similar things in third world countries and the end result is that people end up not trying because, what's the point? You are guaranteed to lose.
(02-23-2022, 06:36 PM)Guest Wrote: This is well known. Has happened recently at Brigham, Hopkins, Penn, Brown, Columbia and others.

The world is unfair, I don’t see it changing.

Agree. But we all know it when we see it, and even if it is unsaid. everyone respects these people less than those that carved their own path in the world.
(02-23-2022, 10:15 PM)Guest Wrote: I am running my own race. But at the same time applicants ought to be aware that the scales are strongly tilted against people who are not from medical backgrounds. Furthermore, this corruption ought to be called out, as it devalues the field and demoralizes individuals. We see similar things in third world countries and the end result is that people end up not trying because, what's the point? You are guaranteed to lose.

It devalues the field, but not enough to stop the practice. Change is only going to come from the outside (if anyone cares enough to, which I doubt), because those on the inside want to keep things the way they are, and change in neurosurgery ONLY comes from above. Who is ever going to give up the in-group advantage because some nameless medical students are going to feel demoralized?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)