Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange situation but need to prep
Hey thanks for advice everyone, and feel free to use this as a general soap/reapply thread haha. Just like to see what people have done in the past, and you only get like 24 hours if you don’t match to make a game plan so good to have some semblance of options. As for my specific situation, I don’t think it’s anywhere close to “dislike this candidate” it’s just that I got some questions wrong and it was commented on in my letter and I feel like even one line of negativity is a huge deal these days so here I am being paranoid as silly as it sounds. I’ve been interviewing premed students for medschool admission as an MS4 and the average letter I read makes the student out to be Gandhi, Jesus, and Einstein in one so that probably adds to my paranoia haha.
(02-27-2022, 08:18 PM)Glioma Wrote: Trying to give you some good news. It's very clear that many of the posters above don't know what they are talking about. For example, my program does not care much if one of your letters is ok even if from the chair. If your stats are good and you performed well in the interviews granted no red flags in the letters then you should be fine. Unless each program you interviewed at received a phone call/e-mail from your program saying you are not good, then you should not worry. Many programs understand that not every applicant is liked by their programs. We had many home students we didn't like and they still matched.
The question is how well you performed in your interviews. Also, don't worry about program director is not responding to your LOI.

----My final advice: If you really like this field and willing to re-apply again- which I recommend if you are into this field because one extra year or even two is nothing for a longterm career- but try to postpone your graduation rather than graduating because as a student, your chances are higher when you apply as a repeat applicant compared to a graduate. Also, go to another institution during that year and volunteer at someone's lab. If you want further advice, shoot me a message.

If he can’t match with 32 contiguously ranked programs he won’t match the following year either. Stop blowing smoke. Punk
I am wondering why some people give bad recs? Instead of giving a bad rec, why not say straight up, "I can't give you a good rec?"
(02-28-2022, 12:51 AM)Guest Wrote: I am wondering why some people give bad recs? Instead of giving a bad rec, why not say straight up, "I can't give you a good rec?"

Just remember that dr. Death had some of the best LORs there are as it allowed hospitals to get rid of him quickly; the letter often says more about the writer than anything else. I would lose all respect for someone who wrote a negative letter unless they explicitly said they told the applicant they would write a negative one.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)