Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.2 Average
Neurointerventional radiology
(06-09-2022, 09:41 PM)Guest Wrote: As a radiology (and neuroradiology) trained neuroIR fellow entering the real world, this is 100% true. Radiologist are NOT neurosurgeons. And you cannot treat every intracranial aneurysm endovascularly.... not to mention that almost no AVMs are treated completely endovascularly these days. Ultimately, we support the neurosurgeons. I'm fine with that... are you? Also, I enjoy sitting in a dark room reading studies, having people come to me asking for answers about complex/weird MRIs, being the "expert" imaging person. 

Also, I take a sh*t ton of stroke call. Which I also enjoy... Gotta be fast (and calm). Gets my heart racing and the adrenaline going. Makes me feel like a super-hero. :-) .... Not a ton of strokes come in at 2:00 am..... some, yes, but not a lot. 

Very very different jobs. 

Basically, do you want to be a radiologist or a surgeon?

One more thing: $$$$

a pure neuroendovascular person makes the same $$$, regardless of the training (but this is rare, maybe except a few academic places).

Radiologist make a lot of $$$, and the lifestyle is pretty good... AND, you don't have to smell patients, which is amazing. 

Radiology trained NeuroIR make a bit (not a ton) more and diagnostic radiology, but you take a lot of stroke call. 

Neuroendovascular neurosurgeon probably makes slightly more because they do $$$$$ spine $$$$ procedures, and also takes a lot of stroke call. 

S tier would be private practice spine surgeon, I would think. Over 1M sometimes. Only down side: it is spine

what are almost all radiologists weird and autistic like this?
As if neurosurgeons are the bastions of functional personalities.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)