Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Subi
I have a subi scheduled for October. I wanted to know if there is any point of getting a letter of recommendation from this subi at that point as it will be mid interview season by the time the recommender would be able to complete the letter?
you can mail it to programs if you like but overall october subis dont work well. Going to interviews during your subi will get some negative response from at least some.
Just don't get it. You should aim for have 4 by September.
Is there any true benefit to doing a home sub-I first before an away? Probably the obvious, but what are peoples thoughts on this? I will have my neurosurgery sub-specialty rotation already before summer, but it isn't an official sub-I. It would be more convenient to do it later, and front load my aways now.
(02-07-2018, 04:16 PM)Tintinnabulum Wrote: Is there any true benefit to doing a home sub-I first before an away? Probably the obvious, but what are peoples thoughts on this? I will have my neurosurgery sub-specialty rotation already before summer, but it isn't an official sub-I. It would be more convenient to do it later, and front load my aways now.

If you're at a school with a program that has helpful/supportive residents and faculty than I'm sure having it before your aways will be helpful. However, i really don't think it's mandatory. As long as you study up, work hard, and are easy to get along with I think you'll be fine.
definitely home subI first - they are typically more forgiving for your errors and can give you the tricks and pointers that can make you a stud/studette on your aways
I did a late subi in October for my 4th and had the letter emailed to programs. Most interviewed had it, some didn’t because the applicant packet didn’t get updated etc.

Also, I purposely avoided scheduling more than 1 interview in October. Most programs are understanding about taking a day or two off to interview, by more than that and it can look like you’re more interested in other programs than than the one you’re rotating at.
(02-08-2018, 03:33 PM)Guest Wrote: I did a late subi in October for my 4th and had the letter emailed to programs. Most interviewed had it, some didn’t because the applicant packet didn’t get updated etc.

Also, I purposely avoided scheduling more than 1 interview in October. Most programs are understanding about taking a day or two off to interview, by more than that and it can look like you’re more interested in other programs than than the one you’re rotating at.

This is a good idea, I think I'm just trying to be flexible so that i don't end up screwing myself over. My options right now are to have my home sub-i at the beginning of summer or in october. Ill keep this in mind though. Thanks for the info!

(02-08-2018, 02:26 AM)Guest Wrote: definitely home subI first - they are typically more forgiving for your errors and can give you the tricks and pointers that can make you a stud/studette on your aways

Yeah that is the dilemma, I would like to but I also want to be able to do aways where i want to do them without having to worry too much. I think I'm just going to run step 2 after internal, then knock the home out, and do the rest straight through to October. Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it!
(07-04-2017, 04:50 PM)Guest Wrote: Just don't get it. You should aim for have 4 by September.

I'm a bit confused- assuming you mean 4 LORs by September, and assuming a home rotation is either in July or August- this would require you to get 2 from home and 2 from the away. Is this standard practice?

I thought that you do:
July- August- 1 or 2 home LORs
August- Sep- 1 away LOR
Sep- Oct- 1 away LOR

In this case you're absolute best case scenario is you have 4 by the end of Sept or early Oct
(04-10-2019, 05:24 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-04-2017, 04:50 PM)Guest Wrote: Just don't get it. You should aim for have 4 by September.

I'm a bit confused- assuming you mean 4 LORs by September, and assuming a home rotation is either in July or August- this would require you to get 2 from home and 2 from the away. Is this standard practice?

I thought that you do:
July- August- 1 or 2 home LORs
August- Sep- 1 away LOR
Sep- Oct- 1 away LOR

In this case you're absolute best case scenario is you have 4 by the end of Sept or early Oct

How most people do it:

June- home rotation (2 letters, 1 from chair, one from faculty mentor)
July- Away  #1
August- Away #2

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)