Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching from rads into NSGY
Unfortunately (?) gone are the days of people laterally switching specialities given mor regulation from ACGME/RRC and the overall competitiveness of the match across most specialities, not just neurosurgery.

There are quite a few notable surgeons who have switched into neurosurgery such as Lam, Cohen, Spinner, Sekhar, Kendall Lee, etc but it would be hard given the current environment.
Dude consider yourself lucky and never look back. Radiology is the promised land. If you still have these feelings in a couple years do neurointervention.
So basically if you don't match, you are done? How is this system even remotely fair?

Also, how come I have read of re-applying on other threads?
(04-24-2022, 11:53 PM)Guest Wrote: So basically if you don't match, you are done? How is this system even remotely fair?

People re-apply all the time and can be successful. Your case is different. You backed out before the hard stuff even began, if i was looking at your app i'd i've serious doubts you'd make it to PGY-3. The decision to ditch neurosurgery for radiology, then match and have regrets and want to switch back, are all huge red flags. You look indecisive and naive. Just be happy in rads. Easy, short residency, and you can get into procedures if you want. The interventional guys are even fusing spines now.

Also, the system doesn't have to guarantee you a competitive residency position to be "fair".
[quote pid='33180' dateline='1650868729']
(04-24-2022, 11:53 PM)Guest Wrote: So basically if you don't match, you are done? How is this system even remotely fair?

People re-apply all the time and can be successful. Your case is different. You backed out before the hard stuff even began, if i was looking at your app i'd i've serious doubts you'd make it to PGY-3. The decision to ditch neurosurgery for radiology, then match and have regrets and want to switch back, are all huge red flags. You look indecisive and naive. Just be happy in rads. Easy, short residency, and you can get into procedures if you want. The interventional guys are even fusing spines now.

Also, the system doesn't have to guarantee you a competitive residency position to be "fair".
[/quote]

Off topic but why is this allowed????
You can do anything your hospital will give your privileges to do/malpractice coverage. I could apply to do appendectomies, but that would not be very wise for them to approve.
(04-25-2022, 02:56 AM)Guest Wrote: [quote pid='33180' dateline='1650868729']

Off topic but why is this allowed????
[/quote]

It makes money, "treats" the same patient population for 1/4 the personnel cost, and can be advertised as a new minimally invasive approach. They don't care that an anesthesiologist has no clue what they're doing
If you really regret it then don’t go through with starting internship, delay graduation to do a research year and reapply when you have SubIs and papers under your belt.
Why does the neurosurgery community tolerate it? It is obviously not good having some autistic loner (radiologist) with one year needle training doing spine fusions--not good for the patients, most importantly, but not good for the field in general. So why is the NS community so lackadaisical about the debasement of the field?
(04-25-2022, 11:34 PM)Guest Wrote: Why does the neurosurgery community tolerate it? It is obviously not good having some autistic loner (radiologist) with one year needle training doing spine fusions--not good for the patients, most importantly, but not good for the field in general. So why is the NS community so lackadaisical about the debasement of the field?

https://www.spinesection.org/Assets/307a...nline=ture

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)