Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realistic chances for an academic job?
I do mix of cranial and spine. First step is have an idea. Then do a patent search to briefly see if there's obvious conflict. Then file a disclosure with your academic office and they'll do a more thorough vetting, etc.

Good place to start is Steve blanks free course how to build a startup.
(06-01-2022, 01:46 PM)Focus Wrote: I do mix of cranial and spine. First step is have an idea. Then do a patent search to briefly see if there's obvious conflict. Then file a disclosure with your academic office and they'll do a more thorough vetting, etc.

So peds became a mix of cranial and spine?
(06-02-2022, 12:36 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-01-2022, 01:46 PM)Focus Wrote: I do mix of cranial and spine. First step is have an idea. Then do a patent search to briefly see if there's obvious conflict. Then file a disclosure with your academic office and they'll do a more thorough vetting, etc.

Peds has always been a mix of cranial and minor spinal cases
(06-01-2022, 04:42 AM)Focus Wrote:
(06-01-2022, 02:02 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-31-2022, 02:57 PM)Focus Wrote: I agree your base pay will be lower if you do an academics but you have to factor in secondary income opportunities. If you have a strong academic standing, you can make a significant amount of money in speaker/advisory roles, IP generation, and industry collaboration. You may also be slightly more competitive for litigation consultation. You can do IP and industry as a PP too (in some ways it is easier/more potentially profitable) but the resources of an academic institution can be very helpful in terms of collaboration and validation. For example at my program we have a group who's job it is to take ideas from investigators and convert them into products or licenses with industry. Obviously they take a big chunk of the revenue in exchange but the reality is it takes a lot of the effort off of your hands. In fact, I recently had a patent submitted for a device that I probably spent 20 hours working on and they did the rest and are now building a prototype for me.

wow very fascinating. what are the opportunities for residents at such places? Can residents use these resources too? Thank you.

Yes, and in fact, residents and medical students are often involved on such projects. I know a resident who is the majority stakeholder in a separate patent submission that he and I collaborated on when I was a resident as well. I don't know exactly how many of these programs that are around but I imagine there are quite a few at programs associated with a university. Whether or not a given department knows about it or utilizes it is the real issue. This is especially true in some of the traditional "Ivory Tower" academic programs. Being involved in such activities requires a certain coziness with industry since from a university's standpoint, licensing is the easiest way to turn a profit. There is also the lingering concern that a resident might leave the program to found a startup which does happen from time to time.

wow that seems amazing. Thank you for the information. However, it seems that only the top places like Mayo and Barrow and Stanford have them. At the lower ranked places I couldn't find any information on this and all the research seems to be meta-analysis and "unique" case studies.
(06-02-2022, 03:56 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-02-2022, 12:36 AM)Guest Wrote:

Peds has always been a mix of cranial and minor spinal cases
Skulls and spines are all the rage with today's youth I hear.
how is the political environment like in academics? is it like college and university? or different?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/...h-at-risk/

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)