Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UTSW Opening
(06-18-2022, 10:00 AM)Guest Wrote: While I do agree that a full NS can offer many opportunities outside of clinical work, take into consideration the amount of years it takes to get there. That is, if this PGY-1 spends 7 years at McKinsey and eventually becomes partner, he will end up making more money and living a better lifestyle than a neurosurgeon.

You significantly underestimate the difficulty of becoming Partner. After associate, you become engagement manager, and then you become partner. It would take 7 years, generally, just to become engagement manager, and another 10 or so to become partner--partners are all in their 40s. He would have become a full NS in his early 30s. 

Also, McKinsey has a pyramidal structure, where they "advise out" the bottom performers every year. Unlike in residency, where you have to basically assault someone or be deliberately neglectful to get fired. 

Also, what you say about lifestyle and money is not true either. As a consultant you are always a servant to the executives who hire you. They can replace you on a whim. So the lifestyle is probably more stressful. 

I can't see the wisdom of his choice. Apparently, he has 100 publications, so he basically threw out his life's work. Now he will work alongside MBA's who put in 1/10th of the effort he did to reach the same place. MBA school is mostly partying and making connections, unlike medical school (and let alone, medical school to become a NS).
This is why we need SubIs for students, and in a variety of programs. Medical students need exposure to fields like NS in MS3, its a big decision to make based on one real SubI in MS4.
(06-18-2022, 02:41 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-18-2022, 10:00 AM)Guest Wrote: While I do agree that a full NS can offer many opportunities outside of clinical work, take into consideration the amount of years it takes to get there. That is, if this PGY-1 spends 7 years at McKinsey and eventually becomes partner, he will end up making more money and living a better lifestyle than a neurosurgeon.

You significantly underestimate the difficulty of becoming Partner. After associate, you become engagement manager, and then you become partner. It would take 7 years, generally, just to become engagement manager, and another 10 or so to become partner--partners are all in their 40s. He would have become a full NS in his early 30s. 

Also, McKinsey has a pyramidal structure, where they "advise out" the bottom performers every year. Unlike in residency, where you have to basically assault someone or be deliberately neglectful to get fired. 

Also, what you say about lifestyle and money is not true either. As a consultant you are always a servant to the executives who hire you. They can replace you on a whim. So the lifestyle is probably more stressful. 

I can't see the wisdom of his choice. Apparently, he has 100 publications, so he basically threw out his life's work. Now he will work alongside MBA's who put in 1/10th of the effort he did to reach the same place. MBA school is mostly partying and making connections, unlike medical school (and let alone, medical school to become a NS).
The pubs were all stat pearls garbage, but agreed it was a seemingly I’ll advised decision
(06-18-2022, 06:26 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-18-2022, 02:41 PM)Guest Wrote:

The pubs were all stat pearls garbage, but agreed it was a seemingly I’ll advised decision

Wow you are all so incredibly ignorant and spew such inaccuracies with confidence. So as someone who has a more substantial experience at an MBB firm let me shed light on the reality of choosing that route.

Timeline to partner- it typically takes 6-10 years total to become partner from the level at which you join with a graduate degree. This is a difficult task to accomplish, but it is no neurosurgery residency. Also, nowadays, typically the reason so many people do not become partner is not due to the firm firing you but rather due to self selection and an exit into industry jobs which are fewer hours

Salary - starting salary is approximately 250k after bonuses before taxes and at the partner level can be multiple million 

Firing - yes the business analysts are typically weeded out. But if you're entering at a graduate degree level and especially in Healthcare, you will not be "pushed out" unless you are on the spectrum. Also this is in stark contrast to residency where there are stories every year of residents getting fired. Neurosurgery attrition rates are horrendous. 

Obviously there are downsides to this route including no true immediate gratification like medicine and lots of work that feels meaningless in the moment. But it is not "Ill advised" as you can see. Plus if it makes him happy, then that's all the matters. Not sure why this is living rent free in all of your heads.
^^^ Not sure why the above poster is so angry. This is a choice that many of us have at our disposal and it would make sense to discuss the situation.

Another option for this gentleman would have been to do an IM residency for 3 years and then join McKinsey at an engagement manager position (high than associate). Furthermore, he would have the job security of a doctor if anything were to happen.

Does anyone know why he didn't just do IM for 3 years, if NS was too difficult? And then go into consulting? It would have been around the same time frame too.

Also, keep in mind that the skills you learn as a med student don't necessary translate easily into other fields. Medicine require quite rigorous scientific thinking, but as an Associate at McKinsey a lot of your work is going to be secretarial in nature and tends to involve much less thinking. So I can't imagine being too happy in such a position. So I can't see how he made a good choice no matter how you look at it.
Bruh why do y’all even care about this kid. He’s out of the field. Move on, he is irrelevant
Because someone who otherwise perfectly fits what programs are looking for, in a time when many excellent candidates are being overlooked, just left the privilege of becoming a neurosurgeon.
sounds like it was just filled anyone know of any openings? was non renewed bc me and my pgy6 chief didn't get along...help...please...
I have full program support
(06-19-2022, 02:55 AM)Guest Wrote: sounds like it was just filled anyone know of any openings? was non renewed bc me and my pgy6 chief didn't get along...help...please...

holy shit, how common is this? How is this fair? had your entire life ruined because some psy6 didn't like you? why is this allowed?
(06-19-2022, 03:47 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-19-2022, 02:55 AM)Guest Wrote: sounds like it was just filled anyone know of any openings? was non renewed bc me and my pgy6 chief didn't get along...help...please...

holy shit, how common is this? How is this fair? had your entire life ruined because some psy6 didn't like you? why is this allowed?

It’s extremely unlikely. How do you have full program support but not get renewed?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)