Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
University of Missouri - Columbia
Some people may not know about or think of Mizzou (in Columbia, MO). Those that do know of it have likely heard it is a very malignant program. 

I completed my sub-I at Mizzou last month, and can gladly say the experience was very positive. 

This post is really meant to highlight a shift in culture that has occurred over the last few months. A new chairman has taken the helm, and he is legitimately one of the nicest physicians I have ever met (across any specialty). Of course it is not enough to be nice. He is also a very well respected surgeon with hundreds of papers and citations. My experience with the other attending physicians was also pleasant and cordial, and they all were willing to teach me when time allowed. 

As far as the residency program, there is room for 1 resident a year. This, however, is supposed to change as the new chair develops and builds the program. The residents were all nice, willing to teach, and easy to get along with. I also saw the residents have (what seems like) a tremendous amount of autonomy in the OR (but of course this is relative, since it was my first sub-I). 

I really think this program is going to become a hidden gem with the new chairman. I have many friends that spent time with the NSG department in medical school prior to the change in leadership. Their experiences were universally bad and reflected the malignant culture the department had a reputation for having at that time. Since the change in leadership, both myself and other medical students have had excellent experiences. 

So, to any reading this that are applying to NSG residency next year, I believe it would be very smart to consider (or reconsider) Mizzou as a place to complete a Sub-I. To any applying this year, understand that the program's history of a malignant culture is dead. This is not just my experience, but comes from the word of all the residents as well.
(07-29-2022, 11:43 AM)300BLK Wrote: Some people may not know about or think of Mizzou (in Columbia, MO). Those that do know of it have likely heard it is a very malignant program. 

I completed my sub-I at Mizzou last month, and can gladly say the experience was very positive. 

This post is really meant to highlight a shift in culture that has occurred over the last few months. A new chairman has taken the helm, and he is legitimately one of the nicest physicians I have ever met (across any specialty). Of course it is not enough to be nice. He is also a very well respected surgeon with hundreds of papers and citations. My experience with the other attending physicians was also pleasant and cordial, and they all were willing to teach me when time allowed. 

As far as the residency program, there is room for 1 resident a year. This, however, is supposed to change as the new chair develops and builds the program. The residents were all nice, willing to teach, and easy to get along with. I also saw the residents have (what seems like) a tremendous amount of autonomy in the OR (but of course this is relative, since it was my first sub-I). 

I really think this program is going to become a hidden gem with the new chairman. I have many friends that spent time with the NSG department in medical school prior to the change in leadership. Their experiences were universally bad and reflected the malignant culture the department had a reputation for having at that time. Since the change in leadership, both myself and other medical students have had excellent experiences. 

So, to any reading this that are applying to NSG residency next year, I believe it would be very smart to consider (or reconsider) Mizzou as a place to complete a Sub-I. To any applying this year, understand that the program's history of a malignant culture is dead. This is not just my experience, but comes from the word of all the residents as well.

Thank you for this post. Last I heard of them was that lawsuit from the resident which outlined everything you don't want in a program. Good to know it's changing for the better!
What about that ENT resident? I know his story was here, on reddit and SDN. They really ruined his life and made a lot of false allegations against him. Admittedly, this was all his side of the story, but I looked at his Instagram and he is a family man--married with 3 kids or so. He doesn't seem like the type of person to cause harm, hes not the aggressive type, but they messed him up. 

I read about a student who was expelled on Title IX as well, based on very flimsy evidence, really messed him up too.
Would be cautious still although Chicoine is great. Will take a while to establish a great program under a new chair especially in a formerly hostile place. Can be successful like an OU story. On the other hand could be another Louisville.
What’s wrong with Louisville?
http://neurosurgeryhub.org/showthread.php?tid=2110
(07-30-2022, 08:06 AM)Guest Wrote: What’s wrong with Louisville?

From the thread, it seems like Louisville is making improvements?

Howcome Missouri ruined that ENT guy, however? Does anyone have more info on that?
Links to stories about the ent resident and the title IX student?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)