Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impact of medical school name on residency selection
As an incoming M1, all you have to go off of is medical school prestige. It took me browsing this forum for a while and talking to advisors to realize that brand-name med school =/ top-tier nrsg residency
(06-14-2020, 02:47 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 06:10 PM)Guest Wrote: Incoming MS1 as well. How much will going somewhere like Loyola Chicago limit residency options? I'd expect places like Stanford, MGH, Hopkins, etc. to be essentially closed doors, but how about Barrow, UCSD, USC tier? (assuming good board scores, research, strong subi's, etc.) Thanks!

Such a dumb post. Barrow is 10x more desirable and hard to get than Hopkins.

Just because Barrow is more desirable doesn't mean they value name-brand medical school as much (which in my opinion is a strength). Just look at their residents and how diverse their medical schools are compared to MGH, Stanford, and Hopkins residents.
(06-14-2020, 03:09 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 06:10 PM)Guest Wrote: Incoming MS1 as well. How much will going somewhere like Loyola Chicago limit residency options? I'd expect places like Stanford, MGH, Hopkins, etc. to be essentially closed doors, but how about Barrow, UCSD, USC tier? (assuming good board scores, research, strong subi's, etc.) Thanks!

Just because Barrow is more desirable doesn't mean they value name-brand medical school as much (which in my opinion is a strength). Just look at their residents and how diverse their medical schools are compared to MGH, Stanford, and Hopkins residents.

Correct, but that's not what made the post uninformed They wrote that Stanford, MGH, and Hopkins are in some tier above the "BNI, UCSD, USC tier" which is ludicrous. Barrow and UCSD should never be in the same sentence together.
USC is top tier

lol UCSD shouldn't be in same sentence as Barrow and SC

I know you’re just getting started with med school and it’s great that you’re interested early. Couple tips:

1) Get involved with the department, join conferences, shadow, etc.
2) After building solid rapport and feeling out if you actually like nsgy (no offense but you don’t know what you’re getting into), start doing research and get published 
3) Keep publishing, get involved with things you enjoy (not just to check boxes) and crush your clerkships

You asking as an M1 about Barrow is like a freshman in high school asking how to get into Harvard. Its great you have high aspirations but it comes off as childish and shortsighted. Just put your head down and work incredibly hard. Don’t worry about trying to end up on one particular place, worry about being the best possible nsgy applicant you can be that programs will be fighting over you. Use your (perceived) lack of med school prestige as further incentive to work hard.

OK flip the 2 then.

(06-14-2020, 09:04 PM)Guest Wrote: Guest

I know you’re just getting started with med school and it’s great that you’re interested early. Couple tips:

1) Get involved with the department, join conferences, shadow, etc.
2) After building solid rapport and feeling out if you actually like nsgy (no offense but you don’t know what you’re getting into), start doing research and get published 
3) Keep publishing, get involved with things you enjoy (not just to check boxes) and crush your clerkships

You asking as an M1 about Barrow is like a freshman in high school asking how to get into Harvard. Its great you have high aspirations but it comes off as childish and shortsighted. Just put your head down and work incredibly hard. Don’t worry about trying to end up on one particular place, worry about being the best possible nsgy applicant you can be that programs will be fighting over you. Use your (perceived) lack of med school prestige as further incentive to work hard.
Totally fair. My (uninformed) point was to assess how much med school prestige will play into chances for certain tiers of residencies. Of course gonna grind regardless

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)