Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best residency for peds?
Which residencies train the best pediatric neurosurgeons? Obviously fellowship plays a big role, but do residencies at institutions affiliated with top children's hospitals (Boston, CHOP, Cincinnati) necessarily produce the best peds neurosurgeons? Specific programs please.
(07-12-2017, 07:02 PM)Guest Wrote: Which residencies train the best pediatric neurosurgeons? Obviously fellowship plays a big role, but do residencies at institutions affiliated with top children's hospitals (Boston, CHOP, Cincinnati) necessarily produce the best peds neurosurgeons? Specific programs please.

Residency doesn't matter at all for peds.  It is such a small part of your residency training, and each of the aforementioned centers are spread so thin as it is with multiple programs + fellows, that is the reason a fellowship is needed. If you want to do pedi neurosurgery 1) get in to residency 2) do a fellowship at one of these places: https://www.aans.org/en/Trainees/Academi...-Directory  The whole concept of best is ridiculous.  If you are not trained well, that is mostly on you, not the program
I think it's important to get some real exposure to call on a peds service to know you'll be happy with it. Peds looks great to a lot of people, especially if they don't have peds call throughout the majority of their residency. I agree with the fact that if you're not trained well, that is on you, for pretty much any program. Find a program that will give good peds exposure and allow you to take peds call. Residenceis in big cities with well known peds hospitals don't get that experience because multiple neurosurg programs rotate there, on top of those places having multiple fellows. I remember interviewing at MCW, where they take call and rotate at their peds hospital throughout their residency, there are 4 faculty and no fellows. I feel like a place like that will give you more opportunity in peds than a big peds name program.
Say I don't want to do peds. What program has the least amount?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)