Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
programs to avoid?
(09-20-2022, 05:10 PM)Guest Wrote: If you don't think Hopkins is malignant your IP address pings to Baltimore.

Can anyone give concrete evidence on why JHU is malignant? Perhaps a few consecutive years of tough seniors? Doesn't seem like turnover (besides leaving to become chair or division chief) or resident attrition is a problem. Didn't rotate there but faculty and alumni of the program that I've interacted with seem like reasonable people.
^Rotated at JHU recently and will say it was not malignant at all. Residents+attendings are incredibly friendly and supportive. Faculty let me do a TON in the OR and there was good autonomy with junior residents doing a lot in some very complex skull base cases.
At Northwestern I saw PGY3's clipping aneurysms themselves on top of skull base meningiomas
(09-24-2022, 01:34 PM)Guest Wrote: At Northwestern I saw PGY3's clipping aneurysms themselves on top of skull base meningiomas

The only time they do these cases are as chiefs or if they do the abroad elective
(09-22-2022, 05:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Hopkins:

Good Chair
Good PD
Superb research
Superb colleagues
Good mid-levels
Good autonomy
Excellent (second to maybe MGH/Mayo) reputation in both academic and PP. Patients will come to you in PP even if you paralyze half
Excellent location (good trauma anyways)

If you want the good life, choose Hopkins.

Overall JHH is not malignant but there are major issues. Agree what you said about paralyzing, but is that something to celebrate?

There are some bad elements among residents and faculty, but many are very pleasant.

Autonomy is laughable when it comes to vascular and spine. It simply doesn’t have the volume for 4/yr.

Hopkins isn’t seeing a lot of trauma.

There’s a reason it’s had difficulty matching its best students these past few years.
I rotated there a decade ago so it very well may have gotten better, but it was the worst experience I've ever had in medicine. Seniors intentionally making life harder for struggling residents. One of them thought it was hilarious to set all of the junior phone numbers to sounds of babies crying. Post-call residents were expected to stay the whole day even though they weren't assigned clinical duties just to show how tough they were. Vascular and endovascular team were nuts to both students and residents. I won't name him but a certain fellow had crazy rules for residents and you were lucky get past catching the threads of his suture as a chief. One of the endovascular guys tore into the one resident who tried to give me any modicum of responsibility by letting me hold pressure on a groin for 30 minutes after he did the first 15.

Students were expected to collect morning vitals and labs, but the information was physically thrown in the trash and redone by the juniors. I was given direct advice by one resident that the best way to match at JHU was to gun the shit out of my co-subis. Specifically, I was told that I should stay at night in the hospital on nights that it wasn't my turn and try to outshine the actually on call subi. Sub-is were also instructed to take no days off, which if they were busier might have been justifiable. We all just sat there every weekend bleary eyed and ignored.

I left there thinking I had made the wrong choice of specialty. Its the only thing that every shook my belief that I wanted to be a neurosurgeon. Thankfully, I had a great time on my other sub-is.
That sounds like you had the experience of a student that pissed off the residents and they gave you shitty advice as a way for you to sink yourself. Gunning your fellow students and staying late when you don’t have to sounds like a quick way for everyone to remember “that douche.”
Y’all are retarded.
Well I didn't follow it but it wasn't exclusively given to me so I don't think your assertion is correct that it was all my fault. No doubt I wasn't a great sub I there, I totally checked out in face of the malignancy and didn't use their LOR.
^ LOL

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)