Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rising young faculty
(11-03-2017, 06:58 PM)Guest Wrote: It seems like a lot of these rising young faculty are MD/PhDs. Why do you think these graduates tend to become leaders in academic neurosurgery? Does possessing the dual degrees make you an inherently better academic neurosurgeon? Or is it just that the graduates of these programs are some of the best and brightest? Asking from the perspective of someone interested in neurosurgery and considering MD/PhD programs but not sure if it's worth the extra time and opportunity cost unless it provides concrete advantages in academics.

Just a coincidence that these MSTP guys got name dropped, and a lot of them are at well-known places like UCSF.

Do the MSTP if you like research. It alone won't make you a great academic neurosurgeon.
(11-03-2017, 10:17 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 06:58 PM)Guest Wrote: It seems like a lot of these rising young faculty are MD/PhDs. Why do you think these graduates tend to become leaders in academic neurosurgery? Does possessing the dual degrees make you an inherently better academic neurosurgeon? Or is it just that the graduates of these programs are some of the best and brightest? Asking from the perspective of someone interested in neurosurgery and considering MD/PhD programs but not sure if it's worth the extra time and opportunity cost unless it provides concrete advantages in academics.

Just a coincidence that these MSTP  guys got name dropped, and a lot of them are at well-known places like UCSF.

Do the MSTP if you like research. It alone won't make you a great academic neurosurgeon.

you got to decide. do you want to write more papers or be a better surgeon?
(11-01-2017, 01:03 PM)Guest Wrote: I've heard of Chang and Aghi, but who is Hervey-Jumper??

I think he was at Michigan and now is Mitch Berger's protege.
I hear he was Mitch Berger's one and only clinical fellow in all of his career
(11-04-2017, 03:49 AM)Guest Wrote:

Just a coincidence that these MSTP  guys got name dropped, and a lot of them are at well-known places like UCSF.

This is not true. And this is from an MD only person. I have seen talented surgeons amongst MD/PhD surgeons. Talent comes with practice and with skill. It is true that some places seem to give you more practice but there is a balance. There are programs that will brag on autonomy and how they let their trainees operate by themselves and operate a lot but are notorious for their poor skills, even though they will brag otherwise. All you have to do is go to one of their M&Ms. 

I do agree that you should do an MD/PhD only if you are interested in research and academics. It is true that those applicants tend to get interviews at all of the best programs, but that is because these programs want to train leaders in the field and those who will excel in academics. You have to decide if that is what you want. Otherwise it’s a pretty unnecessary long road for you to match at places like UCSF and end up in private practice. Other programs will train you extremely well and with less time effort. But by doing so, you may not get interviews at some or several of these big name places. Another thing to keep in mind is that the medical school that you go to, also matters a big deal. That is something I did not realize until now. An applicant from Harvard (or any of the top 20 Med schools) with a 250 will be preferred over an applicant with the same stats from a much less known school. This is mostly true of the top tier program in Neurosurgery. And while others may want to disagree, just look at the resident roster for all of these top tier Neurosurgery programs and look where there trainees went to undergrad and to med school (MD or MD/PhD alike)
(11-10-2017, 11:20 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 08:52 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 06:41 PM)Guest Wrote: Brown. Don't believe the diatribes. These guys are basically orthos who also do brain.

They might be orthos, since 90% of their volume is spine, but they're malignant af.  They have 1 resident who went to med school there, pretty telling if their own do they even want to stay.  Plus, they've lost or fired a lot of residents.  About as chill as that roided up football player dude in the gym show thinks youre checking out their girl.

referring to brown???

(11-10-2017, 11:29 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 01:03 PM)Guest Wrote: I've heard of Chang and Aghi, but who is Hervey-Jumper??

I think he was at Michigan and now is Mitch Berger's protege.
I hear he was Mitch Berger's one and only clinical fellow in all of his career

Berger must've had other clinical fellows from his time at UWash?
(11-11-2017, 12:04 PM)Guest Wrote:

This is not true. And this is from an MD only person. I have seen talented surgeons amongst MD/PhD surgeons. Talent comes with practice and with skill. It is true that some places seem to give you more practice but there is a balance. There are programs that will brag on autonomy and how they let their trainees operate by themselves and operate a lot but are notorious for their poor skills, even though they will brag otherwise. All you have to do is go to one of their M&Ms. 

I do agree that you should do an MD/PhD only if you are interested in research and academics. It is true that those applicants tend to get interviews at all of the best programs, but that is because these programs want to train leaders in the field and those who will excel in academics. You have to decide if that is what you want. Otherwise it’s a pretty unnecessary long road for you to match at places like UCSF and end up in private practice. Other programs will train you extremely well and with less time effort. But by doing so, you may not get interviews at some or several of these big name places. Another thing to keep in mind is that the medical school that you go to, also matters a big deal. That is something I did not realize until now. An applicant from Harvard (or any of the top 20 Med schools) with a 250 will be preferred over an applicant with the same stats from a much less known school. This is mostly true of the top tier program in Neurosurgery. And while others may want to disagree, just look at the resident roster for all of these top tier Neurosurgery programs and look where there trainees went to undergrad and to med school (MD or MD/PhD alike)
Thank you for your insightful reply. With regard to your comment about the importance of medical school tier in residency selection, would you choose the best medical school you got into or one near family and friends? I’m thinking primarily of having a support system that could positively impact my medical school performance in terms of other important residency selection factors like grades, step 1, AOA, research, etc.?
(11-11-2017, 10:54 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-11-2017, 12:04 PM)Guest Wrote:

Thank you for your insightful reply. With regard to your comment about the importance of medical school tier in residency selection, would you choose the best medical school you got into or one near family and friends? I’m thinking primarily of having a support system that could positively impact my medical school performance in terms of other important residency selection factors like grades, step 1, AOA, research, etc.?

I'd say if you have a chance at a name brand med school like HMS/Penn/Duke/UCSF then you should take that with the exception of you getting a full ride to a lesser institution. I know people who have turned down places like Yale to go to a Baylor or NYU to be closer to friends/family and they ended up perfectly fine in terms of residency placement.
(11-03-2017, 07:11 PM)Guest Wrote: who are the rising young spine stars?

Hoh, Okonkwo, Dahl, Uribe, Sciuba
(11-12-2017, 11:46 PM)Guest Wrote:

Victor Chang
Lau
(11-13-2017, 01:40 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-12-2017, 11:46 PM)Guest Wrote:

Victor Chang
Lau
Who is taking over spine program at San Diego and ucla?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)