Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will acceptance become EASIER in the upcoming years??
Neurosurgery is one of those fields were the competition has and probably will remain STABLE. Unlike ENT and ortho which has recently seen a massive uptick in competitiveness, and unlike radiology where there are ebbs and flows. According to my PD, getting a residency from a T20 medical school with acceptable boards and long term evidence of academic productivity isn’t really that hard, but surviving the residency…now that’s hard…
I go to a T5 school. This is the first year where we have more students applying to neurosx than ortho. I think the field is becoming more approachable than year's past.
Spine, functional, and peripheral nerve are basically lifestyle specialties

Residency sucks no matter what you do

Neurosurgery is a better deal than it was before
My school (T20) has almost triple the amount of students who want to do ortho than neurosurgery. Also, the attrition from Neurosurgery during med school still remains high, compared to fields such as ENT/ortho.
The sentiment that gen Z and millennials only care about work-life balance and lifestyle is a bit stretched. This opinion comes from the idiotic social media culture that we live in. There are people in our generation who aspire to be "great" and have traditional mindsets. For every 500 med students, you only need one with the drive and tenacity to join a neurosurgery program.

People like Lebron, Kobe, MJ, Voldemort (lol) could have taken it easy. Yet, they chose to aspire to greatness. There are 240 or so neurosurgery residency spots and 21,000 allopathic med school graduates. Those 200 will always exist because they honestly don't give a fuck about lifestyle. They just want to be great. It's destiny like the previous poster mentioned. The driving force is just so strong, almost as if they were meant to be something.
Some good points and I'm glad to this thinking in my generation. In my school, literally everyone mentions wanting a good life so this is a refreshment.

It is my opinion that some men are destined to do great things and they are the ones to push the species forward. As the play "Dr Jeckyll and Mt Hyde" says, "This day, or never/I'll sit forever/With the gods." For these men, it does appear that destiny is on their side.

Everyone else--the 99.9%, if you will-- are basically parasites.
If they want a good life, then why join medicine? There are so many different career options and yet they chose medicine. If I had to boil it down, these individuals are simply lazy. Putting in significant cognitive effort on something you love is a difficult task. In our modern culture, there are more and more people who simply do not want to do this. The shift towards a largely hedonistic culture is partially to blame. People just want to give in to what gives them immediate pleasure, which becomes more tempting as one gets older and doesn't want to continue to put in cognitive effort. They want to simply stop learning after residency and go to "work" with no further improvement in their skills. It's part of the reason why we don't see many prominent younger scholars nowadays.

When I enter the hospital, I don't go to "work." Hence, the concept of work-life balance doesn't apply.
^^ They say they want to do ER or FM or IM or ans and work 9-5 3 days a week and earn 200-300k. that is their goal in life. Their is no desire to push the field forward or anything like that. If the government paid them 300k a year for doing nothing, they would be the happiest people in the world. They are like animals.

I recall the Fountainhead. Everyone is just happy to make a salary but it is the rare and few who want to really live, who desire more than just living like an animal, who are fully realized. They are what I consider to be fully human. They are the small minority, but destiny does indeed appear to favor them. Everything just "works" for these people.
This whole thread is a bit weird and off-putting

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)