Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Med Students Exploiting Letter to the Editors and Review Articles
Not surprisingly there will be a letter to the editor:” systematic review of commentaries....”
The issue is that many are writing these papers not to learn but to artificially inflate their paper count to game admissions. If someone is writing 30+ letters, it's not difficult to understand what their true intent is. When the value of these letters and reviews are held at the same level as other forms of original study, then you can clearly see what the issue is. And as it was alluded before, it is theoretically possible to write at least a hundred of these over the course of 3 years in medical school. You can see the rabbit hole you would head down if you don't discriminate between hierarchies of research.
For a profession like medicine that's supposedly based around integrity, you sure do have to play a lot of games to get where you want to be. If I only want to do pp surgery why can't I just focus on boards, SubI's, lor's, and clinical skill instead of pumping out useless pubs to match? We all know plenty of surgeons come out from research powerhouse institutions with tons of pubs and as soon as they finish residency disappear into a pp clinic without ever publishing again.
Somewhat these pubs increase differences among students. Letters to the editor can be published without invitation compared to commentaries. Hopefully, someone publishes a letter to the editor complaining about this. Solution would be incorporating commentaries section in the journal website without pubmed indexing.

When doing title and abstract screening in systematic reviews, you can easily find 100+ commentaries. By eliminating these publications, you can actually optimize other study designs.
You do NOT have to have research to match into dermatology, neurosurgery, plastic surgery, orthopedics, etc. Look at the interactive graph on NRMP for those specialties with minimal to no research. There are students every year who match, though probably not at top programs.

The problem is when more people than spots available apply there has to be some distinguishing factor, and research will be the default factor used IF you do not have other parts of your application to help you stand out (military, prior career, etc).
Students can match top programs with a dozen of pubs. You just need connections. no matter how dummy you are.
Focus recently posted the actual median numbers of publications. Median of 5 actual publications for students who matched into neurosurgery in 2021 compared to 2 in 2017. Yes the numbers are going up, but the publication numbers are nowhere near double double digits or the astronomical numbers people seem to throw around this forum. The numbers he stated seem in line with the applications I have reviewed the past few years as a mid level resident.

Yes the total research experience numbers are much higher, but nobody cares about that. Of course the project that got a publication probably also yielded few local and maybe national posters/presentations. Inflating those numbers provide little to no benefit in your chances of interviewing or matching.
^Why do residents spend so much time trying to meet abstract submission dates for conferences? I've had a frustrating experience with two residents who just try to submit abstracts to conferences. However, they would never put in any effort to help get a paper written. If abstracts are worthless, then why put in that energy? Are they just trying to make their CV as long as possible? The other motive I can see is if if there is some sort of award involved such as a Young Investigator award.
(05-25-2023, 10:30 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 08:03 AM)Guest Wrote: Remember. All of these publications have a responsible party - the senior author who is more likely than not a neurosurgical attending. Don’t hate the player.

Medical students that publish low quality literature become attendings that publish low quality literature. No surprise there

(05-25-2023, 08:14 AM)Guest Wrote: OP sounds super jelly. The med student writing all these review articles will be at MGH or UCSF no doubt.

Nope. I'm in the top 1 percentile of publications myself (30+). Attack the argument, not the person.

(05-25-2023, 10:17 AM)Guest Wrote: ^^ what benefit do attending get from this? I’ve seen many senior attending at top institutes churn out pointless papers, what is the point?? What benefit do they get?

Ego

(05-24-2023, 04:43 PM)Focus Wrote: Just do your best.

You genuinely don't see an issue with a medical student pumping out hundreds of letter to the editors and commentaries (that don't display any original thinking)? One can theoretically can write 10 of these a month (withe the help of 1 or 2 students) for 40+ months of medical school and graduate saying they have a 400+ publications.

1) You can't stop them so why waste time worrying about it. Just do your own personally best.
2) If it is so easy then why aren't you doing it on top of good research?
(05-24-2023, 02:53 PM)Guest Wrote: NYU.....lol

care to explain?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)