Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Med Students Exploiting Letter to the Editors and Review Articles
Remember. All of these publications have a responsible party - the senior author who is more likely than not a neurosurgical attending. Don’t hate the player.
OP sounds super jelly. The med student writing all these review articles will be at MGH or UCSF no doubt.
^^ what benefit do attending get from this? I’ve seen many senior attending at top institutes churn out pointless papers, what is the point?? What benefit do they get?
(05-25-2023, 08:03 AM)Guest Wrote: Remember. All of these publications have a responsible party - the senior author who is more likely than not a neurosurgical attending. Don’t hate the player.

Medical students that publish low quality literature become attendings that publish low quality literature. No surprise there

(05-25-2023, 08:14 AM)Guest Wrote: OP sounds super jelly. The med student writing all these review articles will be at MGH or UCSF no doubt.

Nope. I'm in the top 1 percentile of publications myself (30+). Attack the argument, not the person.

(05-25-2023, 10:17 AM)Guest Wrote: ^^ what benefit do attending get from this? I’ve seen many senior attending at top institutes churn out pointless papers, what is the point?? What benefit do they get?

Ego

(05-24-2023, 04:43 PM)Focus Wrote: Just do your best.

You genuinely don't see an issue with a medical student pumping out hundreds of letter to the editors and commentaries (that don't display any original thinking)? One can theoretically can write 10 of these a month (withe the help of 1 or 2 students) for 40+ months of medical school and graduate saying they have a 400+ publications.
Nah bro, 30publications is trash. The new standard is 100+ reviews and commentaries. You’ll be lucky to scramble into peds with those numbers. Meanwhile the champions of pubmed are going straight to the top!
Anyone down to form a group of 20 or so students that just writes letter to the editors? If we each write 5 a month, we can have 600 "publications" by the end of the year. We'll surpass Spetzler's career numbers in a few months.
Great idea. I’m gonna write it a review of all of these letters
At this point, med students will start making systematic reviews of commentaries. What a joke.
And then we can write letters to those systematic reviews of commentaries. As long as we are doing our best like Focus says, it should be no issue. People are going to be so jelly of all of our "publications."
I am co-author on a number of these types of papers. What is the problem? You learn a lot just by doing them.

Just do you best.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)