Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M3: How Behind Am I? Advice?
Establish a consensual sexual relationship with a PD and you’ll match
It doesn’t have to reach that level. I've seen a student manipulate a PD to eliminate the competence of her class.
Hey thanks for the reply. By projects I mean papers. They just aren't submitted yet.

(05-28-2023, 02:50 PM)Guest Wrote: What do you mean by "projects" Do you mean posters?

(05-28-2023, 04:25 PM)Guest Wrote: You are completely fucked.

Hey thanks for the advice! How so? Anyway I can improve things a little bit during third year + research year?
You’ll probably be fine as long as you do well on your clinical rotations, Step 2, and actually complete the projects you are currently working on. The very top residencies are probably out of your reach but everything else is feasible with hard work and some flexibility with residency location.
(05-28-2023, 08:42 PM)Guest Wrote: You’ll probably be fine as long as you do well on your clinical rotations, Step 2, and actually complete the projects you are currently working on. The very top residencies are probably out of your reach but everything else is feasible with hard work and some flexibility with residency location.

Great thanks! Will do my best.
Also, just so I kind of have an idea, some follow up questions:
- what weaknesses do I have in my app? The fact that those projects don't have pubs? (they've taken a while, nothing crazy just a retrospective for the 1st author, still learning I guess but know i have to step it up).
- When you say "top residencies" what do you mean?
- Totally flexible with location, not too many people in my life, what sorts of locations am I looking at?
What are your goals? If you want to match in neurosurgery and do not care where you end up, there is a viable path from where you stand.

Once you make it past the filter, whether it's to get a Sub-I or interview, a lot of it is based on your personality and how well you get along with residents at that particular program. You are not a strong applicant for "top" programs nor will you become one through a single research year. To maximize your chances of matching period I would pick 3 Sub-I's at middle of the pack programs that do not have more than 2-3 Sub-I's a year.

From now until next May when you take Step 2, you need to make certain you study (UWorld + other QBanks) to score at least 255-260. Not having significant research and even late decision to go for neurosurgery you can match provided you can behave normally around other people, but an average to poor Step 2 will sink your chances.
Got it. Great advice. I'll focus on the things you mentioned.
As far as goals, just to match. Would want to stay on the coast since that is where I am. What places are "middle of the pack"?
Regardless, I'll move to whichever place. No worries. I know things are tough.
Had no idea I was so behind. How many publications do NSGY applicants at the start of third year typically have?

Also thanks for the specific advice re: SubI's and behaving normally. Good to have that in my head.
You'd be surprised how many people are solid on paper but don't know how to behave normally around others. Makes you wonder how they got past med school interviews...
Quote:What places are "middle of the pack"?

Can't you use search? Most of the idiotic questions you are asking have been answered extensively here. 

By any chance, are you mentally retarded?
(05-29-2023, 01:28 AM)Guest Wrote:
Quote:What places are "middle of the pack"?

Can't you use search? Most of the idiotic questions you are asking have been answered extensively here. 

By any chance, are you mentally retarded?

I definitely have my moments. Lol.
Looked it up but info seems off, splitting all 116 programs, places like UCSD land in the middle. Hell, I should read more.

Thanks 4 the advice!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)