Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M3: How Behind Am I? Advice?
^OP, welcome to neurosurgery hub. We usually gossip here so we're not used to actually helping people out. We're probably nicer in real life (probably).

Also, doximity rankings are pretty accurate, no matter how much people bitch on here (mah Alabama and autonomy). UCSF is 1, Barrow is 2, Mayo is 3.
(05-29-2023, 02:48 AM)Guest Wrote: ^OP, welcome to neurosurgery hub. We usually gossip here so we're not used to actually helping people out. We're probably nicer in real life (probably).

Also, doximity rankings are pretty accurate, no matter how much people bitch on here (mah Alabama and autonomy). UCSF is 1, Barrow is 2, Mayo is 3.

No problem Doc. My home institution is in the top 15 apparently. Had no idea things were that competitive. I know there was a couple papers recently about the “true” number of pubs being like 5-7 iirc. I’m at the start of my third year so this + research year I’m hoping to at least get at least that amount. Staying at my home would be great but again, know it’s rough out there.

Any further advice from yourself / anyone is appreciated. Third year just started and want to put in the work.

Thanks !
Hard to judge from a forum post, but if you are a chatty kind of person in real life just turn it down a little around neurosurgery residents and faculty. Don't ask too many questions, or be too outgoing. Take it easy, be quiet, and get to know the team at your home institution slowly.
^Had a MS1 tool like that on my 1.5 week long MS3 rotation in neurosurgery. Dude showed up every day (because he was on a break) and kept asking dumb ass questions to the resident and took away from my learning. I was pissed. Waited all year for that rotation only to put up with his dumb ass. OP sounds like that person.
^ Most likely OP has narcissistic personality disorder. Possibly bipolar or histrionic.
Noted. I will say less/etc. Appreciate the feedback.
Ignore these trolls OP. But yes, speak only when you have something insightful to add or a genuine question to ask
If you are a minority add +10 to your Step score and +2 publications to your research total. Would apply to top programs as well as they love DEI
^+2 pubs is too little. +10 is better.

Also, if you are Asian, subtract 20 points from Step, 10 papers off your research total, and 3 points off your "social likability" factor. If you are outside T20, multiply by 1.5 to the previous numbers.
BS. The only good predictor now is home institution.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)