Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best clinical / Hands on Residencies?
(10-20-2017, 01:29 AM)Guest Wrote: UCSF nuff said

I value my sanity more than doing residency at a place like UCSF.
(10-20-2017, 12:20 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 01:29 AM)Guest Wrote: UCSF nuff said

I value my sanity more than doing residency at a place like UCSF.

What do you mean?
UCSF nuff said
(10-20-2017, 02:01 PM)Guest Wrote: UCSF nuff said

UCSF SUCKS!!!
At UCSF only hands on experience is at VA and the general. At moffitt/long the residents get sidelined all the time and junior residents usually double/triple scrub. Did a sub-i there 2 years ago, now happily training elsewhere.
What are the programs with the best County hospital experiences?
(07-16-2021, 12:37 PM)Guest Wrote: What are the programs with the best County hospital experiences?

Best county experience probably goes to USC unless things have changed. Programs at big cities typically will have county hospitals (Miami, Rush, etc)

Keep in mind county hospitals are not for everyone. Great operative experience but comes at a price.. you often transport patients yourself, you have to hound nurses to carry out orders sometimes delivering blood to the lab yourself, STAT scans fall on deaf ears.. the scut is real. Great learning but also miserable fwiw during junior years.
Grady (Emory) and Parkland (UTSW) are also incredible county training experiences not often talked about on these forums
(07-16-2021, 01:49 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 12:37 PM)Guest Wrote: What are the programs with the best County hospital experiences?

Best county experience probably goes to USC unless things have changed. Programs at big cities typically will have county hospitals (Miami, Rush, etc)

Keep in mind county hospitals are not for everyone. Great operative experience but comes at a price.. you often transport patients yourself, you have to hound nurses to carry out orders sometimes delivering blood to the lab yourself, STAT scans fall on deaf ears.. the scut is real. Great learning but also miserable fwiw during junior years.

Not sure even the USC residents will agree with this. Drowning in garbage trauma for such a huge portion of your residency is likely detrimental to your surgical training.
Another thing beside county hospitals to consider is VA rotations. Tend to be a bastion of resident autonomy. UCSF, NYU, and Pitt (?Miami too?) all come to mind as having VA rotations. I'm sure there are many more, but I remember seeing them there when I interviewed.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)