Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best clinical / Hands on Residencies?
(07-16-2021, 08:55 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 01:49 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 12:37 PM)Guest Wrote: What are the programs with the best County hospital experiences?

Best county experience probably goes to USC unless things have changed. Programs at big cities typically will have county hospitals (Miami, Rush, etc)

Keep in mind county hospitals are not for everyone. Great operative experience but comes at a price.. you often transport patients yourself, you have to hound nurses to carry out orders sometimes delivering blood to the lab yourself, STAT scans fall on deaf ears.. the scut is real. Great learning but also miserable fwiw during junior years.

Not sure even the USC residents will agree with this. Drowning in garbage trauma for such a huge portion of your residency is likely detrimental to your surgical training.

I hope the TL fusions and trauma cranis don't get in the way of your bypasses champ
(07-18-2021, 08:33 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 12:37 PM)Guest Wrote: What are the programs with the best County hospital experiences?

Best county experience probably goes to USC unless things have changed. Programs at big cities typically will have county hospitals (Miami, Rush, etc)

Keep in mind county hospitals are not for everyone. Great operative experience but comes at a price.. you often transport patients yourself, you have to hound nurses to carry out orders sometimes delivering blood to the lab yourself, STAT scans fall on deaf ears.. the scut is real. Great learning but also miserable fwiw during junior years.

Not sure even the USC residents will agree with this. Drowning in garbage trauma for such a huge portion of your residency is likely detrimental to your surgical training.

I hope the TL fusions and trauma cranis don't get in the way of your bypasses champ

Not OP but i think he was more referring to the floor work being the negative. 

The OR experience in VAs and county hospitals is always great, you'll pump out a ton of cases, great autonomy, and patient's generally are less high maintenance and more thankful in my experience. The problem is the sheer volume of BS that comes through from the ED and consults that are not operative, plus the ancillary staff and other services usually aren't very reliable or sometimes frankly not good at their job. 

Just to take a perfect example above, if you order a STAT HCT at a top, neuro-specialized hospital like the Barrow it gets done with no problems in a timely manner. You place the order, maybe have to call the nurse for a heads up but that's it. You order a STAT HCT at a county or VA you have to call the nurse to ask her to take them, call the CT tech and convince them to put down their phone and do their job, then call the nurse back who now tells you can't even go with the patient because they're short staffed (nevermind the patient, they have rules to follow), then you have to go to the room and pack them up yourself and wheel them down. It might sound like a small annoyance, but when you have a 50 patient census and you're covering everybody, plus consults and ED, that stuff adds up and you end up with every call shift being soul crushing.

In my opinion the operative experience you get from being a senior at a VA/County is worth the work the junior gets slammed with, but for some it may not be.
(07-18-2021, 08:33 AM)Guest Wrote:

You seem cranky. We're you up all night doing traumas?
This is a very angry place.
(07-20-2021, 02:31 PM)Guest Wrote: This is a very angry place.

Can't argue with that!
(10-18-2017, 11:35 AM)Trigger Wrote: Can residents not be sued? I had always believed this until I asked some attendings at my home program who said they had been sued as residents.

Anyone can be sued, but it’s highly unlikely most lawsuits, which usually usually seek settlement by way of negotiated compensation of perceived damages and losses, will target a resident with the financial equivalence of an indentured servant, or even staff who, on average, are not anywhere near the extremely wealthy in this country today. They won’t have the money. It’s far more likely a resident or attending would be named in a lawsuit against an institution. These institutions will immediately put costly lawyers on retainers who will meet with residents and tell them what to do in the interest of their client. If a resident or staff were directly sued and the suit had real reason behind it, pragmatically it’s much easier to just fire the offender if found guilty. Especially as the number of practicing neurosurgeons rises
Most of the residencies in the Midwest. None of you from the coasts can even hold my Midwest surgical jockstrap. I’ll be in the doctor’s lounge dictating my op notes before you’ve figured out why your nav is off.
(04-05-2022, 12:19 AM)No Lies Wrote: Most of the residencies in the Midwest. None of you from the coasts can even hold my Midwest surgical jockstrap. I’ll be in the doctor’s lounge dictating my op notes before you’ve figured out why your nav is off.

LMAO
(04-05-2022, 02:48 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 12:19 AM)No Lies Wrote: Most of the residencies in the Midwest. None of you from the coasts can even hold my Midwest surgical jockstrap. I’ll be in the doctor’s lounge dictating my op notes before you’ve figured out why your nav is off.

LMAO

Arrogant, but not entirely inaccurate…

This is probably the most accurate statement regarding residency programs on this entire website.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)