Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
indian M.B.B.S wants neurosurgery in america
Hello,
My name is Rakesh and I am a doctor from India. I graduated from rank 3 medical school in India and being top of my class. i talked to my professor about good place to do neurosurgery and he recommended USA. We have some of our alumni students in general surgery and even neurosurgery in america. One went to Univ of Washington in Seattle, One is at Wanye State University in Detroit, one is at University of Pittsburg's medical hospital.
I have some training in india in family practice and rural practice. I take USMLE 1st Step this summer and got 95th percentile and 256 out of 280.
My step 2 written exam is in 2 weeks. How can I be a very strong candidate for my residency in america.

please guide me. I would like advice.

Thank you very much

Jai shree krishna and god bless all my friends here

-Rakesh
please, anyone help me?
Rakesh you have to give us more than two hours. you posted in the middle of the night in the USA. Most of those people you are referring to did years of research or fellowships in the US until they were able to get a spot. your best bet would be tonlook up their emails on their wepages and email them for advice.
Rakesh,

You sound like a nice and very bright man. I wish you the best. You will want to consider coming to America for a couple of years and do research. Find a good Neurosurgery mentor with a lab and be productive. It might be more helpful if it’s a reknown neurosurgeon or from a reknown program as his letter of recommendation will be very valuable. But you pretty much have to do research.
Matching into neurosurgery won't be a possibility for you until you have done 2-3 years of research in a neurosurgery lab in the US. Even if you have accumulated 10-15 publications within that time period with solid away rotation performances, the odds will still be against you as there is strong preference for American grads in neurosurgical programs. There are plenty of success stories of FMGs (Canadians don't count) that match but realize most of them have done an extensive amount of research in neurosurgery programs before applying.
(11-10-2017, 11:25 PM)Guest Wrote: Hello,
My name is Rakesh and I am a doctor from India. I graduated from rank 3 medical school in India and being top of my class. i talked to my professor about good place to do neurosurgery and he recommended USA. We have some of our alumni students in general surgery and even neurosurgery in america. One went to Univ of Washington in Seattle, One is at Wanye State University in Detroit, one is at University of Pittsburg's medical hospital.
I have some training in india in family practice and rural practice. I take USMLE 1st Step this summer and got 95th percentile and 256 out of 280.
My step 2 written exam is in 2 weeks. How can I be a very strong candidate for my residency in america.

please guide me. I would like advice.

Thank you very much

Jai shree krishna and god bless all my friends here

-Rakesh

A 256 isn't particularly good, especially for an FMG. 

As others have mentioned, you need both clinical experience in the US, and should plan that you will need several years of research before you might be considered.

Why not stay in India and do neurosurgery there?
This sounds like a racist troll post. Nobody in India would sign off their message like that.
Hi Friends,
Very thankful for your replies. I think I will have to do research and get many publications before applying for residency in America. Can anyone of you suggest some scientist or surgeons in the field of neurosurgery who I could email?
256 is pretty good in my opinion, if you are productive in research and get support from a mentor you should have a descent shot. There a lots of potential good mentors, I would first focus on which speciality and then look for thought leaders and productive neurosurgeons in that field to narrow your list. Then look at the programs they are in and see which may work best. If you are going to commit to 2-3 years of research, look into doing a masters or phd. Also start doing research at your home institution because without that it will be hard to convince that you will be productive in the US and worthy of a J1
(11-12-2017, 08:02 PM)Guest Wrote: 256 is pretty good in my opinion, if you are productive in research and get support from a mentor you should have a descent shot. There a lots of potential good mentors, I would first focus on which speciality and then look for thought leaders and productive neurosurgeons in that field to narrow your list. Then look at the programs they are in and see which may work best. If you are going to commit to 2-3 years of research, look into doing a masters or phd. Also start doing research at your home institution because without that it will be hard to convince that you will be productive in the US and worthy of a J1
thank you for your reply, sir. I am very grateful to you. I have started emailing neurosurgeons and also. looking at PhD and MPH programs. 

any other help would be very appreciated. 

jai shree krishna

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)