Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millenials
Chief resident here.   In the spirit of the holidays and making amends, I'd like to expand my beneficence to the millennial juniors.   What can I do, as your absolute sovereign of the service, to make your putrid life less desolate?  Do you need a safe space?  Should we have trigger warnings?  Would you like a participation award for every consult you see?   Amuse me with your requests.
(12-29-2016, 05:58 PM)Chief Wrote: Chief resident here.   In the spirit of the holidays and making amends, I'd like to expand my beneficence to the millennial juniors.   What can I do, as your absolute sovereign of the service, to make your putrid life less desolate?  Do you need a safe space?  Should we have trigger warnings?  Would you like a participation award for every consult you see?   Amuse me with your requests.

We set up an anonymous complaint hotline through the GME so we can report micro aggression by the attendings and senior residents.  This culture of abuse must stop
C'mon Chiefy, what made you so sour? What'd dem wacky junoirs botch up?

One thing I've seen supervisors do that I think is hurtful to academic environments is give shit to someone asking a dumb question. Would it be preferable to have a junior ask a dumb question or just go ahead and make a dumb mistake?
Lot of millenials are nsg junkies, how can we work together to make nsg better? The general ideas are how can we make residents better trained and how can we change procdures to overall make nsg more gentle, reproducible, and safe.
(12-30-2016, 08:44 PM)Millenial Wrote: Lot of millenials are nsg junkies, how can we work together to make nsg better? The general ideas are how can we make residents better trained and how can we change procdures to overall make nsg more gentle, reproducible, and safe.

Gentle to the patients or gentle to the residents?  The common theme is the millennials are a bunch of pussies who aren't willing to put in the work required..  We can work together by the juniors realizing this, falling in line, and things running cohesively.  Your other points will be addressed as the field evolves.
Maybe it's not obvious to everyone but it seems simple enough to just do verbatim what you are told by your seniors unless you think a major slip/lapse/error has occurred and then just clarify that if you are concerned?
(12-31-2016, 10:44 AM)Millenial Wrote: Maybe it's not obvious to everyone but it seems simple enough to just do verbatim what you are told by your seniors unless you think a major slip/lapse/error has occurred and then just clarify that if you are concerned?

This should be the take home of all JR residents.  Literally just do what you are told, stop trying to be the smartest person in the room.  Do not play passive aggressive games by not doing things you are supposed to, but weren't "told" to.  These sorts of things get you pegged as a bad actor and not a team player.  Yes, life sucks as the junior.  No, you will not make it any easier on yourself by being an asshole about it.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)