Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Gentlemen's" Programs
(07-17-2018, 02:31 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-16-2018, 10:52 PM)Guest Wrote: I'd rather have a SJW than some bigoted, sexists that think neurosurgery is just for white conservative country club boys with backwards thinking. Grow up, take that silver spoon out of your mouth, and shut it.

i am as far from a white country club boy as possible, but my observation is that they work much harder than the SJW and thus turn out much better surgeons. SJW surgeon will won't assume your gender identity or burden you with microaggressions, but might harm you (patient) or your loved one...

I second this.
(07-16-2018, 10:52 PM)Guest Wrote: I'd rather have a SJW than some bigoted, sexists that think neurosurgery is just for white conservative country club boys with backwards thinking. Grow up, take that silver spoon out of your mouth, and shut it.

I'll bet there's some major implicit bias in this observation of yours.
i am as far from a white country club boy as possible, but my observation is that they work much harder than the SJW and thus turn out much better surgeons. SJW surgeon will won't assume your gender identity or burden you with microaggressions, but might harm you (patient) or your loved one...

(07-17-2018, 06:10 PM)Guest Wrote:

I second this.
Not sure what implicit bias but it sounds like snowflake speak.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9nugPhIS16c
(07-17-2018, 11:09 PM)Guest Wrote: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9nugPhIS16c

Agree - enough IS enough. Say "gentle-surgeon program" from now on; and if you saw gentlemen's program we will know you are a bigoted, gender-exclusive a-hole.
after watching that video, i am now convinced that we will all speak russian soon
Current senior resident here at a busy academic program. At the risk of being slightly off tangent, I just wanted to share my thoughts and advice to applicants. Take this for what it's worth (being brutally honest here)

1) if you are doing your sub-I and I hear anything about duty hours, work-life balance,, anything along those lines - you're getting blackballed

2) (for females) if you show up to your sub-I or interview and straight up tell someone you're planning on having kids during residency - you're getting blackballed

3) if you whine in any way shape or form about how tough it is or how people are mean to you and singling you out - you're getting blackballed

I have no problem if you're a man/woman, straight/gay, black/white, etc. but if your "label" affects your ability to complete your duties as a resident then I don't want you in my program. If you perceive slights at every corner and feel like everyone is against you because of your race, gender, or ethnicity, then you may just be too sensitive for neurosurgery. Part of being a good resident is taking a beating with a smile and coming back for more the next day. These are the qualities that I look for in our incoming applicants. If you get butthurt easily then I suggest you look at another specialty.

Regarding the pregnancy thing, I'm not against you getting pregnant. I'm against you getting pregnant during residency. If I have to take extra call or lose my research block because I have to cover for you during maternity leave, then you are taking away from my residency experience. You have a choice regarding what specialty you go into, just like you have a choice of having a child during residency (barring any accidental pregnancies). If you want to have a kid during your 20s to 30s then pick a different specialty.

Just my two cents take it or leave it

Also if I say gentlemans program while we're talking and you correct me - you're getting blackballed
(07-19-2018, 01:10 AM)Guest Wrote: Current senior resident here at a busy academic program. At the risk of being slightly off tangent, I just wanted to share my thoughts and advice to applicants. Take this for what it's worth (being brutally honest here)

1) if you are doing your sub-I and I hear anything about duty hours, work-life balance,, anything along those lines - you're getting blackballed

2) (for females) if you show up to your sub-I or interview and straight up tell someone you're planning on having kids during residency - you're getting blackballed

3) if you whine in any way shape or form about how tough it is or how people are mean to you and singling you out - you're getting blackballed

I have no problem if you're a man/woman, straight/gay, black/white, etc. but if your "label" affects your ability to complete your duties as a resident then I don't want you in my program. If you perceive slights at every corner and feel like everyone is against you because of your race, gender, or ethnicity, then you may just be too sensitive for neurosurgery. Part of being a good resident is taking a beating with a smile and coming back for more the next day. These are the qualities that I look for in our incoming applicants. If you get butthurt easily then I suggest you look at another specialty.

Regarding the pregnancy thing, I'm not against you getting pregnant. I'm against you getting pregnant during residency. If I have to take extra call or lose my research block because I have to cover for you during maternity leave, then you are taking away from my residency experience. You have a choice regarding what specialty you go into, just like you have a choice of having a child during residency (barring any accidental pregnancies). If you want to have a kid during your 20s to 30s then pick a different specialty.

Just my two cents take it or leave it

Also if I say gentlemans program while we're talking and you correct me - you're getting blackballed

I'm an attending at a top program in the northeast.

Thank you for saying what many/most in the field feel, but are afraid to come out and say.  You may not have been the most eloquent, or soft with your statements, the underlying premise is there.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)