Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UCSF Experience?
About 50-60 most of the time. 2 clinic days per week, 3 OR days. Vastly better hours, compensation, and satisfaction than my co residents who went into academia. And I very much agree with the above poster who pointed out that equity ownership in surgery centers/imaging centers/PT facilities is a huge plus, especially when compared to an academic department that will compensate you poorly, try to gouge you for any consulting fees/honoraria you get from industry, and instantly discard u the moment it’s to their advantage.
Are Mummaneni and Berven actually leaving? People were incorrectly speculating Miami a couple of years ago
I have a different opinion on this. If you’re in a fairly desirable place to live (ie large city) and not somewhere rural (where admittedly private practice earns a lot more), I think that the pay gap between PP and academics is shrinking rapidly. Numerous academic programs, including big name east coast ones, have switched to an RVU-based salary model.

I took an academic spine job at a good, 3/year program and my 2 coresidents both went into private practice. They make ~150-200K/year more than me. On the other hand, I never ever get phone calls at night unless I’m on call and there’s something operative (even then, I get a nice email with all the imaging slices and plan from a chief resident). I have highly skilled chiefs who can get the case done with no help (just need to pop in). My coresidents have NP/PA coverage until 6 PM, and then they’re on their own. All the annoying phone calls you got from the ED in residency or nurses on your patients go straight to you, including orders and drain BS. Any procedure (including a bolt or EVD) you have to go into the hospital for, and you’re closing your own skin even on hemicranis. Admittedly, their turnover in private practice is much better, but I can legitimately run 2 rooms with senior level residents who get the patients in the room, expose, decompress, and close with minimal help. To me, having residents support your practice and not having any of the low level nuisance calls is more than worth the relatively small (and ever shrinking) pay gap.
(01-05-2023, 06:27 PM)Focus Wrote: You can make seven figures doing just locums and case review. Seven figures is great. Equity is better.

Equity in what? A surgeon is only worth the cases he does. The ACA took away a lot of our (doctors) ability to own and have passive income.
Equity in whatever type side hustle interests you. I truthfully don't know much about owning medical facilities as described by the other poster so I can't speak to the ACA effect on them, but a number of my partners are involved in real estate. My interests related to equity fall into start ups and patent licensing.
I would also point out that while the ACA may have affected what we can own directly (I just don't know since it isn't where I have directed my time or income), I would suggest that it probably doesn't affect your ability to be the beneficiary of a trust that owns equity in a medical facility. The reality is that as a specialty with a high rate of divorce and malpractice suits you really shouldn't own anything directly. It should be in your spouses name or in a trust fund's name. The nice thing about trusts is that they are not necessary at risk of being pillaged by divorce or malpractice. Life insurance policies and your primary home are also typically protected against malpractice, for those who may not know. Every chief resident should be finding a generational wealth lawyer and a financial advisor that they are comfortable with.

Edit: Make sure you set up your trusts so that you, the beneficiary, can pay the taxes on it if you so choose. That way you have even less money directly while maximizing your other pocket's value.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)