Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chance of matching
(11-27-2018, 10:43 PM)Guest Wrote: I don’t get what’s going on in this thread, but love this guy. Keep demanding to know your chances. You have a fan

hey man just trying to get some mental peace. we have some great faculty/residents here that give objective advice
Ive heard on the trail numerous times that "most" people match in their top three? Is there any data to suggest this? Anyone have tips in terms of communication to make sure that happens? Would love to match in my top 5, but not sure how that works.
As far as I know that figure quoted is for all specialties. Which I suspect is a different animal than neurosurgery, as it is heavily weighted towards specialties like IM which are huge programs and not neurosurgery programs with only 1-2 slots.
accutane 40 mg sildenafil citrate how to buy valtrex in korea buy generic propecia tadalafil 20mg
(12-04-2018, 11:17 AM)Guest Wrote: As far as I know that figure quoted is for all specialties. Which I suspect is a different animal than neurosurgery, as it is heavily weighted towards specialties like IM which are huge programs and not neurosurgery programs with only 1-2 slots.

Okay that makes sense. Do we have any idea of where people actually match on their rank lists in this field?
(12-04-2018, 11:51 AM)Tintinnabulum Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 11:17 AM)Guest Wrote: As far as I know that figure quoted is for all specialties. Which I suspect is a different animal than neurosurgery, as it is heavily weighted towards specialties like IM which are huge programs and not neurosurgery programs with only 1-2 slots.

Okay that makes sense. Do we have any idea of where people actually match on their rank lists in this field?

People match all over...all over. Some at 1, some at close to 20 and everything in between. Keep in mind that the excel spreadsheets from previous matches we have on this website will disproportionately represent people who match in top 5. If you're angry/upset/bitter about matching low on your list, you tend not to report your stats online. I believe that it's true that most applicants match in top 5. But keep in mind that a lot of these people have a decent home program that "has their back" in case other programs generally don't want them because of personality issues or low step 1 etc...  You should have a good sense if you're a strong applicant or not which will determine how high or low you will fall. Personality can only do so much to save someone who has terrible grades, research etc...

My advice would be to hold off on looking at apartments in the  cities of your top 3 choices after you submit your rank list. Many people i know (neurosurgery and other specialties) were surprised where they ended up.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)