Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 1.56 Average
In search of a PGY2 position
(02-14-2018, 03:48 PM)Guest Wrote: This is absolutely unacceptable. Neurosurgery is a tough field, but the things mentioned above are very atypical and were not common in the 1990s when I trained. These sort of abuses should be reported to the acgme.

You're very lucky then. The vast majority of my colleagues went through very similar things for years, from both residents and senior attendings. Report to the ACGME and then what? You make a bunch of enemies and get fired or your own program gets put on probation/unaccredited and you won't be a neurosurgeon. Congratulations.
Just my two cents... but how is it that an intern or junior resident is taking that much crap off of another junior resident? If the problem isn't chief versus junior/intern... just kind of odd. If a chief is riding you hard, which happens, then sure I can understand (although don't think this is the norm) for most programs. I was very close with my chiefs and still stay in contact today. But for an intern to take that much crap off of a PGY2/3? Really? Can't you just stick up for yourself? How do you get forced into holding someone's lunch? You are an adult... If the faculty won't fix that junior resident's attitude, then they will also not care if you take matters into your own hands and stick up for yourself. Seems like a dramatic/silly reason to leave a program, but I am sure you had your reasons. Good luck finding another place.

To the person asking if harassment and having dick co-residents is normal, I would say no. Not everyone will be best friends but the norm I would imagine is everyone can at least be civil...
(02-14-2018, 03:48 PM)Guest Wrote: This is absolutely unacceptable. Neurosurgery is a tough field, but the things mentioned above are very atypical and were not common in the 1990s when I trained. These sort of abuses should be reported to the acgme.

Please, let us know what cup cake program you went to.  I recently finished and witnessed several firings, fist fights, sabotage, the whole program turning on a resident to hang them out to dry.  

To be honest, it's like lord of the flies or your average Sub-Saharan junta dictatorship.  The only way to survive is to savage someone weaker, and establish dominance. 

Those here who are appalled are in for a rude awakening.  If you are weak going in, have a contingency plan for when you inevitably wash out or get broken.
It is not the responsibility of the resident to create a safe environment for neurosurgical training and it is the responsibility of his/her chief residents and program director (who are usually aware before people start leaving) to address these kinds of issues and punish the person have a power trip.

We would not tolerate these kind of occurrences at our program and would consider an applicant if we had a spot. Good luck.

What’s going on at NYU? Two people left this year?
(02-14-2018, 04:02 PM)Guest Wrote:

Please, let us know what cup cake program you went to.  I recently finished and witnessed several firings, fist fights, sabotage, the whole program turning on a resident to hang them out to dry.  

To be honest, it's like lord of the flies or your average Sub-Saharan junta dictatorship.  The only way to survive is to savage someone weaker, and establish dominance. 

Those here who are appalled are in for a rude awakening.  If you are weak going in, have a contingency plan for when you inevitably wash out or get broken.

This sounds exactly like my program and probably ~70% of the programs out there. We had a group of malignant seniors who just hated this one PGY-2 (granted they were an obnoxious SJW and complained all the time). They logged and reported all of their mistakes and complaints against them to the PD and everyone else just talked trash about them to the attendings until they eventually got pushed out of the program.
(02-14-2018, 04:21 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 04:02 PM)Guest Wrote:

This sounds exactly like my program and probably ~70% of the programs out there. We had a group of malignant seniors who just hated this one PGY-2 (granted they were an obnoxious SJW and complained all the time). They logged and reported all of their mistakes and complaints against them to the PD and everyone else just talked trash about them to the attendings until they eventually got pushed out of the program.

this is also another reason why it's probably better to take a sub-I  as opposed to some applicant who you meet for 15minutes and ends up quitting. Both parties are at fault.
I understand that programs are different, and some are more friendly, most are tough, and then a handful are super malignant and have multiple residents that drop out...but why is the resident quitting a malignant program at fault?
(02-14-2018, 04:57 PM)Guest Wrote: I understand that programs are different, and some are more friendly, most are tough, and then a handful are super malignant and have multiple residents that drop out...but why is the resident quitting a malignant program at fault?

Because it shows that you simply cannot handle adversity. PDs are generally very risk averse and want to take people who are going to push through the full 7 years, even with the understanding that you'll have awful days and have to deal with very difficult/malignant personalities. If you ALREADY voluntarily quit residency you've clearly demonstrated that you're willing to just walk away from a program. At a junior resident position when you can just backfill an extra spot through the match with another talented medical student, why would you ever take the chance on someone who is a proven quitter?
two adults couldn’t “handle adversity” within 1 year at same program? And one now is at UCLA a top program and the other attempting to apply to programs? Don’t sound like quitters...more like two residents in the midst of some shady stuff and poor leadership.
(02-14-2018, 05:55 PM)Guest Wrote: two adults couldn’t “handle adversity” within 1 year at same program? And one now is at UCLA a top program and the other attempting to apply to programs? Don’t sound like quitters...more like two residents in the midst of some shady stuff and poor leadership.

Ucla is hardly a top program.

I don't know the story, but it may have been abusive, yet they failed to get through it without self destruction.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)