Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 1.56 Average
In search of a PGY2 position
why was there a spot at UCLA?
(02-14-2018, 05:55 PM)Guest Wrote: two adults couldn’t “handle adversity” within 1 year at same program? And one now is at UCLA a top program and the other attempting to apply to programs? Don’t sound like quitters...more like two residents in the midst of some shady stuff and poor leadership.

Somehow 19 other adults were able to not quit their top program. Moreover, NYU has historically lost very few residents to attrition. Sounds like they're taking spoiled kids through their direct 3-year MD program who have no idea what they're getting themselves into. They didn't have any problems before this.
I also trained before 2003 and experienced all sorts of abuse mostly verbal and racial but some physical. I took my beatings and occasionally told someone to f#^# off. The moment you quit is the moment you lost all credibility in my opinion. You should pursue a different specialty that is more conducive to a fragile person such as yourself. Do you think that when you are a neurosurgery attending you won't have an abusive boss /chair/ etc? It is perpetual and only the strong survive
(02-14-2018, 07:26 PM)Guest Wrote: I also trained before 2003 and experienced all sorts of abuse mostly verbal and racial but some physical. I took my beatings and occasionally told someone to f#^# off. The moment you quit is the moment you lost all credibility in my opinion. You should pursue a different specialty that is more conducive to a fragile person such as yourself. Do you think that when you are a neurosurgery attending you won't have an abusive boss /chair/ etc? It is perpetual and only the strong survive

Fwiw this is amazing.  We have attendings lurking and even replying. 

Please, register an account and help guide us who are at the beginning of our path!
(02-14-2018, 03:51 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 03:48 PM)Guest Wrote: This is absolutely unacceptable. Neurosurgery is a tough field, but the things mentioned above are very atypical and were not common in the 1990s when I trained. These sort of abuses should be reported to the acgme.

You're very lucky then. The vast majority of my colleagues went through very similar things for years, from both residents and senior attendings. Report to the ACGME and then what? You make a bunch of enemies and get fired or your own program gets put on probation/unaccredited and you won't be a neurosurgeon. Congratulations.

correction - a program goes down from probation, all the residents can get positions elsewhere. for the other programs, it's a boon. it's ultimately the program that loses out. check out loma linda
(02-15-2018, 12:30 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 03:48 PM)Guest Wrote: This is absolutely unacceptable. Neurosurgery is a tough field, but the things mentioned above are very atypical and were not common in the 1990s when I trained. These sort of abuses should be reported to the acgme.

You're very lucky then. The vast majority of my colleagues went through very similar things for years, from both residents and senior attendings. Report to the ACGME and then what? You make a bunch of enemies and get fired or your own program gets put on probation/unaccredited and you won't be a neurosurgeon. Congratulations.

correction - a program goes down from probation, all the residents can get positions elsewhere. for the other programs, it's a boon. it's ultimately the program that loses out. check out loma linda

False.  Programs that go down from this sort of thing are borderline to begin with.  A quick look at the roster of faculty and residents will demonstrate this with the number of nobodies, prior transfers, and FMGs.  If it was hard to find a spot after getting canned from the first program you got in to, try doing it again.  True, the second time you have the GME blessing to go above the compliment and your funding comes with you.  Even so, most PDs look at these residents as the red-headed bastard step children when they do show up.  Only rarely will an exceptional resident be picked up through these means.
(02-15-2018, 05:51 AM)Guest Wrote:

False.  Programs that go down from this sort of thing are borderline to begin with.  A quick look at the roster of faculty and residents will demonstrate this with the number of nobodies, prior transfers, and FMGs.  If it was hard to find a spot after getting canned from the first program you got in to, try doing it again.  True, the second time you have the GME blessing to go above the compliment and your funding comes with you.  Even so, most PDs look at these residents as the red-headed bastard step children when they do show up.  Only rarely will an exceptional resident be picked up through these means.

you just refuted your statement. if it were so hard that PD's look at resident transfers as "bastard step children" then it wouldn't have been so easy for the loma linda residents to get jobs at the top institutions where they ended up. and yes, programs do get a GME blessing to go above their complement. more manpower in your program.
For whatever it's worth, this is how Mummaneni ended up at UCSF.
(02-15-2018, 12:36 PM)Guest Wrote: For whatever it's worth, this is how Mummaneni ended up at UCSF.

where was he before
(02-15-2018, 12:03 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 05:51 AM)Guest Wrote:

you just refuted your statement. if it were so hard that PD's look at resident transfers as "bastard step children" then it wouldn't have been so easy for the loma linda residents to get jobs at the top institutions where they ended up. and yes, programs do get a GME blessing to go above their complement. more manpower in your program.

What top institutions did they end up?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)