Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 1.56 Average
In search of a PGY2 position
Hi everyone,

At the beginning of the year I left my neurosurgery program (I had completed my neurosurgical intern year successfully and in good standing). I ultimately left by choice, though I cannot discuss details on a public forum, obviously. At the time of my decision to leave my program there were no other open neurosurgery residency positions.

I graduated in 2016 from a top US medical school, did well academically, on boards, and during my intern year at a top/very busy New York program. I have been searching since this past July for any vacant PGY2 positions or programs willing to backfill other positions. 

I am deeply passionate for neurosurgery and truly want to find my way back to this amazing field.  If you know of any open or potential positions, please contact me directly at neurosurgeryapplicant@gmail.com

Thank you
ucsf, emory,Stanford and wayne have an opening. I would try and inquire from residents and/or their progeam directors
I believe the UCSF position was filled already, and Emory and Stanford don't have openings when I contacted them recently. I will check with Wayne State.
If anyone has any other leads, please email me neurosurgeryapplicant@gmail.com or PM me. Thank you!
(02-08-2018, 04:33 PM)Seeking PGY2 Position Wrote: I believe the UCSF position was filled already, and Emory and Stanford don't have openings when I contacted them recently. I will check with Wayne State.
If anyone has any other leads, please email me neurosurgeryapplicant@gmail.com or PM me.  Thank you!

UCSF position is definitely not filled
wayne state is also not filled
(02-08-2018, 06:48 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 04:33 PM)Seeking PGY2 Position Wrote: I believe the UCSF position was filled already, and Emory and Stanford don't have openings when I contacted them recently. I will check with Wayne State.
If anyone has any other leads, please email me neurosurgeryapplicant@gmail.com or PM me.  Thank you!

UCSF position is definitely not filled

which year is open?
pgy 2 I believe. my sources tell they lost an MD PhD so they may try to get another MD PhD
any other years available elsewhere?
I sympathize with your situation, but in all honesty it's going to be difficult to convince any PD to take you on. What is the guarantee that you won't just quit again, especially considering you walked away from a great program like NYU?
(02-14-2018, 01:47 AM)Guest Wrote: I sympathize with your situation, but in all honesty it's going to be difficult to convince any PD to take you on. What is the guarantee that you won't just quit again, especially considering you walked away from a great program like NYU?

I think an interested PD could at least discuss with me the circumstances in which I left and confirm specifics with my previous program director. I think it would be clear from such a discussion that many others may have also chosen to do the same if they had experienced a certain type of abuse, and that would not mean that they would quit again, or that they could not make great neurosurgeons in the future.

I was abused by a specific resident at my previous program and that is the main reason I left. Frankly I did not feel safe. This resident did things as demeaning as making me carry his lunch while he walked next to me because I was "his intern" to those much more serious. He would regularly threaten that he would break me, would curse at me with foul language in front of patients while I was doing procedures (this was witnessed by a senior resident). He would yell at me in the ED seeing consults or while I was wheeling patients to the scanner to the point that residents from other services had to intervene disturbed by his anger, and he would even laugh hysterically during the times I broke down in tears in front him... and many other examples and it was relentless. This resident had threatened other residents in the program as well and had very disturbing characteristics that made him very intimidating and scary. This kind of resident is not normal for most programs, and is usually weeded out in applications to medical school way before even getting into residency...so I do not think that leaving for such a reason again is ever likely, as I expect general safety to be a basic denominator in most programs.

Despite how emotionally disturbing that experience was for me, I regret leaving because no matter what I say, some PDs may just not care. However, that does not mean there is no hope or that no program director will care. Another resident at my former program last year also left at the end of the year - he is now doing well and happy at another neurosurgery program on the west coast. Not continuing at my former program was not a predictor of success elsewhere. 

If a PD is willing to consider that things are not black and white, and that there is still a chance for me to continue my training and hopefully become a great neurosurgeon, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will keep trying on my end too.

Thank you

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)