Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NIH funding
Is there some way to see a list of NIH funding on a per department basis?
(02-18-2018, 11:17 PM)Guest Wrote: Is there some way to see a list of NIH funding on a per department basis?

NIH Reporter
Few departments have NIH funding
Is NIH funding within the nsg department itself (as opposed to related neuroscience departments) an important in assessing quality of a program?
(02-19-2018, 01:00 AM)Guest Wrote: Is NIH funding within the nsg department itself (as opposed to related neuroscience departments) an important in assessing quality of a program?

There are nuances to this. If you are interested in becoming a neurosurgeon-scientist yourself, the distinction may be more important. You can find out via NIH reporter who the grant holders are at any given institution. 

The advice I have been given is as follows: becoming a successful surgeon-scientist is tough, and there is some value to have mentors (i.e., the actual neurosurgeons in your dept) as the grant holders, vs the PhDs in the neuroscience department.

The other side of the coin is total funding, in general, at an institution. If you are a self-starter with a lot of research behind you already, then you might benefit most from an environment with a ton of opportunities (regardless of basic research output of your clinical mentors).
Well said.
Neurosurgeon-scientist = myth.
The self reported ones don't know how to operate or don't do real research.
(02-19-2018, 11:23 AM)Guest Wrote: Neurosurgeon-scientist = myth.

Very true...

Of the neurosurgeon-scientists I know, they either have a PhD running the lab and in no way are a true "scientist" or if they are doing the majority of the work themselves (grant writing, etc), they hardly operate and make way less than their clinical colleagues.
(02-19-2018, 10:30 PM)truth Wrote:

Very true...

Of the neurosurgeon-scientists I know, they either have a PhD running the lab and in no way are a true "scientist" or if they are doing the majority of the work themselves (grant writing, etc), they hardly operate and make way less than their clinical colleagues.

or they are rockstars like eddy Chang, aghi and curry
(02-20-2018, 02:07 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 10:30 PM)truth Wrote:

Very true...

or they are rockstars like eddy Chang, aghi and curry

There is no such a thing. Don't fool yourself as you might become another "neurosurgeon-scientist".
Rockstars = Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, Joey Ramone, Axl Rose...

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)