Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1
can my 30+ pubs and 1 year NIH fellowship overcome my 235 step 1?
(08-25-2018, 12:22 AM)Guest Wrote: can my 30+ pubs and 1 year NIH fellowship overcome my 235 step 1?

Totally depends. I remember there was a kid last year who did Howard Hughes and had a ton of basic science research but a below average board score and got a low tier program but I’ve also seen people with your stats match well. Crush your aways and get great letters.
(08-25-2018, 12:22 AM)Guest Wrote: can my 30+ pubs and 1 year NIH fellowship overcome my 235 step 1?

If you are a consummate hard worker and show good initiative on your sub-I - you should be able to match anywhere.

All these n00bs out here thinking that their step 1 score sunk them. As long as your score is reasonable (~220 and above) and you crush every other aspect of your application AND you are an excellent sub-I (affable, available, able) you can match at the UCSFs/Barrows/Hopkins without issue.
(08-25-2018, 03:13 AM)Guest Wrote:

If you are a consummate hard worker and show good initiative on your sub-I - you should be able to match anywhere.

All these n00bs out here thinking that their step 1 score sunk them. As long as your score is reasonable (~220 and above) and you crush every other aspect of your application AND you are an excellent sub-I (affable, available, able) you can match at the UCSFs/Barrows/Hopkins without issue.

Wtf are you smoking? Even the best applicants can't count on matching at UCSF and Barrow "without issue". The AVERAGE step 1 score across all medical students is a 230. The AVERAGE medical student does primary care at an average program. A 220 means you're a below average student, puts you at the average for peds and would get you screened at almost all the top neurosurgery programs. You can be a really nice guy and have great skills in inserting foleys and throwing stitches during your sub I but that's not going to save you if you're that weak academically. Obviously we all know there are exceptions for people who got Rhodes, have incredible, high-impact papers (not just a year out for research which is now incredibly common), dad is the chairman of a big place/super strong connections but to suggest this is the norm is absolutely misleading to current medical students.
^neurosurgery average score was 245 this year
(06-25-2018, 07:51 PM)Guest Wrote: Low step 1 not a deal breaker.  Anything above 220 is workable. Anything above 210 is ok if you are really solid. Anything above 200 is ok if you are on all star.

interesting  Dodgy

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)