Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York Programs
(05-03-2018, 12:33 PM)Guest Wrote: They both took three this year because they both lost residents (intern lefy columbia and a pgy2 and pgy3 left NYU and also someone went on leave or a business?) Neither is accredited to be a 21 resident program...go on websites, neither have been taking 3/year.

Typical of Sinai residents? Not sure why all the hate on Mt Sinai but surprised that with your impressive operative load that you’re even on here. And to say Mt Sinai isn’t world class is nonsense.

Not one person outside of Mt Sinai would say it's "world class." 

You're an above average program, that's a good thing, not "hate". Not everyone can be UCSF/Barrow.
(05-03-2018, 02:28 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 12:33 PM)Guest Wrote: They both took three this year because they both lost residents (intern lefy columbia and a pgy2 and pgy3 left NYU and also someone went on leave or a business?) Neither is accredited to be a 21 resident program...go on websites, neither have been taking 3/year.

Typical of Sinai residents? Not sure why all the hate on Mt Sinai but surprised that with your impressive operative load that you’re even on here. And to say Mt Sinai isn’t world class is nonsense.
NYU was expanded to 18 accredited spots two years ago. They seem to be up to 16 now; probably doing 3-2-3-2 pattern, or something like that, to get to 18.  This is an operative & training powerhouse. Can't get the story on Columbia residents but this programs is also one of the best in the city. Every program will gain or lose a resident once in a while. Attrition rate is highest for NSG. Assuming the issue was with the program rather than the resident, is wrong 99 out of 100 time. It is general practice to not reveal the details of a staff departure wither way. 
If you believe that Mt Sinai is world class and you are a resident there, then there is nothing wrong with that. You are where you want to be and getting the education that you believe in. What others say about it should not bother you. Focus on becoming a great surgeon. No one has the market cornered on that.
did a subI at NYU and it was amazing. I think it is definitely best program on east coast
(05-04-2018, 08:22 PM)Guest Wrote: did a subI at NYU and it was amazing. I think it is definitely best program on east coast

What about the Barrow of the East?
(05-05-2018, 11:45 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 08:22 PM)Guest Wrote: did a subI at NYU and it was amazing. I think it is definitely best program on east coast

What about the Barrow of the East?

Buffalo?
my 2cents, I don't go to any of these places but rotated in nyc and know people at most of the programs

short version
best operative-NYU
best political/connections-Columbia
best mix of operative and academic-cornell
solid but not a standout in any one area-sinai
UMDNJ, LIJ, NYMC, einstein-all have some good things and some bad things LIJ seemed probably the best of these 4 but is only recently an MD program

nyu-best operative training in the northeast, huge volume, compares favorably to almost anywhere from an operative standpoint, residents benefit from having a mix of higher complexity at tisch and high autonomy at bellevue, not much time or inclination for research among the residents, has intermittently been on the malignant end of the spectrum

columbia-most politically connected, residents have been succesfull academically, volume and autonomy are low

Cornell-lots of volume per resident, residents have been productive academically with good research opportunities and protected time
Hi all. I am trying to decide between an NYU and a Columbia sub-i and I understand Columbia usually takes internal candidates. Any recommendations?
(05-21-2018, 11:22 AM)Guest Wrote: Hi all. I am trying to decide between an NYU and a Columbia sub-i and I understand Columbia usually takes internal candidates. Any recommendations?

Columbia if you're looking to match at a top research program/if you're coming from a place like Hopkins or Stanford. NYU if you're looking for a more operative experience.
does NYU favor its own subIs?
(10-14-2018, 09:31 AM)Guest Wrote: does NYU favor its own subIs?

Every program favors their SubIs to some degree, but looks like NYU has also regularly taken people that didn’t rotate there

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)