Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice Thread 2018
Hey everyone,

As sub-I season approaches, I'd love to start a thread on general tips and advice for away rotators for this upcoming sub-I season. Any little pearls of advice, no matter how obvious they may seem, would be much appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to get started off on the right foot but feels a little intimidated! I know these threads pop up a lot but I hope this thread can be somewhat of a centralized information source for those of us about to start aways. 

This site is a great resource and I hope the current residents, attendings, fellows and program coordinators will chime in to help these new set of sub-i's!
I can only speak for where I have rotated (Mid West programs)

1)Be polite to the residents & the other Sub-Is / students rotating with you. Dont be a gunner who steals the other students' learning opportunities. Also be polite to the nurses in the OR. I have heard a chief resident speak badly about an applicant based on how rude/condescending his behaviour was towards the OR staff. This is may seem like obvious stuff but you'll be surprised how many people forget this when they're under stress.

2)Preferably don't go off on some personal errand (unless it is something serious) when you're on call. They will talk about this for days.

These are the only 2 things that will for sure make the residents dislike you.

Other than that - be on time & make yourself as useful as possible. This is more important than knowing all the answers to the pimp questions.

(Definitely be comfortable with neurorad stuff)

Good luck !
(05-06-2018, 12:37 AM)Guest Wrote: I can only speak for where I have rotated (Mid West programs)

1)Be polite to the residents & the other Sub-Is / students rotating with you. Dont be a gunner who steals the other students' learning opportunities. Also be polite to the nurses in the OR. I have heard a chief resident speak badly about an applicant based on how rude/condescending his behaviour was towards the OR staff. This is may seem like obvious stuff but you'll be surprised how many people forget this when they're under stress.

2)Preferably don't go off on some personal errand (unless it is something serious) when you're on call. They will talk about this for days.

Other than that - be on time & make yourself as useful as possible. This is more important than knowing all the answers to the pimp questions.

Good luck !

Thanks!

Anyone else? Any perspective is welcome!
(05-10-2018, 08:20 PM)Crani123 Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 12:37 AM)Guest Wrote: I can only speak for where I have rotated (Mid West programs)

Good luck !

Thanks!

Anyone else? Any perspective is welcome!

Haven't been on my AIs yet, but I thought some of the advice in this thread would be useful:
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads...g.1028285/
As a student with no home program, how many subIs should I consider doing?
(05-20-2018, 06:53 PM)Guest Wrote: As a student with no home program, how many subIs should I consider doing?

3. And as early as possible (preferably at your intended #1 rank), so that you can get LORs. Get from both PD and Chair.
(05-21-2018, 06:02 AM)doctorK Wrote:
(05-20-2018, 06:53 PM)Guest Wrote: As a student with no home program, how many subIs should I consider doing?

3. And as early as possible (preferably at your intended #1 rank), so that you can get LORs. Get from both PD and Chair.

how much of a disadvantage is it if the all rotation spots at #1 have already filled up? they're still my #1...

is it uncommon for previously claimed spots to open up later in the sub-i season?
(05-28-2018, 05:59 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-21-2018, 06:02 AM)doctorK Wrote:

how much of a disadvantage is it if the all rotation spots at #1 have already filled up? they're still my #1...

is it uncommon for previously claimed spots to open up later in the sub-i season?

For this upcoming season? You are way behind the ball - this should have been set up in the Winter.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)