Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank lists
(02-26-2017, 10:17 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 10:22 PM)Guest Wrote: Bottom: Rutgers, Mount Sinai, Brown and Geisinger. I hope no one was deceived by the bullshit they said in the interview.

Whatd they say that was bullshit?

I did a sub-i at Sinai and would strangle myself if I match there. What I heard from friends who went for an interview there was completely opposite to my sub-i experience (they interview you during your rotation there). The chair doesn't get along with faculty or residents. A lot of intradepartmental issues and conflicts on faculty level (they trash each other!). The operative experience blows on top of freakishly long turnout between cases and horrible scheduling. Program leadership is not interested in educating residents and some residents were open and sad about it. They tell you about the multi-million trials and research opportunities but I found out that those funds were actually for regulatory and none of residents was involved. It's not an "up and coming" as they claim and will never be under the current leadership. Surprisingly, I was asked in almost every interview if mount sinai has a residency program and why I didn't consider other NYC programs!! Lastly east harlem is filthy and you will have miserable seven years there or nyc in general. I really regret going there and wasting a month. Probably I should have posted this earlier and sorry if you were deceived in the interview, but if you can thrive there then good for you.
(02-28-2017, 01:21 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 10:22 PM)Guest Wrote: Bottom: Rutgers, Mount Sinai, Brown and Geisinger. I hope no one was deceived by the bullshit they said in the interview.

I did a sub-i at Sinai and would strangle myself if I match there. What I heard from friends who went for an interview there was completely opposite to my sub-i experience (they interview you during your rotation there). The chair doesn't get along with faculty or residents. A lot of intradepartmental issues and conflicts on faculty level (they trash each other!). The operative experience blows on top of freakishly long turnout between cases and horrible scheduling. Program leadership is not interested in educating residents and some residents were open and sad about it. They tell you about the multi-million trials and research opportunities but I found out that those funds were actually for regulatory and none of residents was involved. It's not an "up and coming" as they claim and will never be under the current leadership. Surprisingly, I was asked in almost every interview if mount sinai has a residency program and why I didn't consider other NYC programs!! Lastly east harlem is filthy and you will have miserable seven years there or nyc in general. I really regret going there and wasting a month. Probably I should have posted this earlier and sorry if you were deceived in the interview, but if you can thrive there then good for you.

Second this. Sinai is a malignant residency program that needs to be revamped from head to toe. Solid place to be a patient or a student but not resident. The program exists simply on the name alone.

If you're looking for good NYC sub-is NYU stands out amongst the crowd. Columbia has a great reputation but I was looking for more of an operative experience than what they offered. Don't know much about Cornell or Albert Einstein.
(02-28-2017, 03:25 PM)Guest Wrote:

Second this. Sinai is a malignant residency program that needs to be revamped from head to toe. Solid place to be a patient or a student but not resident. The program exists simply on the name alone.

If you're looking for good NYC sub-is NYU stands out amongst the crowd. Columbia has a great reputation but I was looking for more of an operative experience than what they offered. Don't know much about Cornell or Albert Einstein.

Not sure what the motivation of the above posts are but I sub-i'd at sinai this year and had a great experience. It was far from malignant. Like any program it has its pros and cons but malignancy and lack of interest in resident education are definitely not problems there. The operative experience was strong and there were more cases than the residents could cover at the main hospital so they have 2 surgical PA's to help. They also have quite a few PA's/NP's that cover floor work during the day. All the residents were very nice and friendly as were the faculty. The only reason I didn't rank the program 1 was because I didn't think nyc would be the optimal location for me.
It seems the bigger question is your "motivation" for implying that people who expressed their negative opinion about Sinai have an agenda that motivated them to make the posts. May be their experience was different from yours. Having PAs and NPs does not mean anything as many programs have them. Mt Sinai does have great surgeons and is a well regarded hospital....residency program, debatable.
(02-28-2017, 05:07 PM)Guest Wrote: It seems the bigger question is your "motivation" for implying that people who expressed their negative opinion about Sinai have an agenda that motivated them to make the posts. May be their experience was different from yours. Having PAs and NPs does not mean anything as many programs have them. Mt Sinai does have great surgeons and is a well regarded hospital....residency program, debatable.

Yes, I was definitely implying that the people writing these posts have an agenda. We see this all the time with the NYC/Chicago/LA/other big city programs. We also see students who get negative evaluations/letters for totally legitimate reasons turn around and trash the program online. 

Obviously everyone's experience and perception is different, but when someone says that they were "asked in almost every interview if mount sinai has a residency program" I don't really trust the rest of their rant. It's one thing to not have a strong reputation, but it's another for academic neurosurgeons to not know if your program exists entirely.  I was never asked this on interviews, but instead just what I thought of the place.

Again, every program has its pros and cons and one of the main purposes of this forum is to hash those out for applicants. However, we have to remain somewhat professional and level-headed in what we write because the decisions made based on these posts have a very real impact. 

If someone is slandering a program in ways that I feel are unwarranted, I can't help but provide the counter view, particularly when I saw no signs of "malignancy" and someone flat out calls it malignant on an anonymous forum. 

My comment regarding NP's/PA's is very relevant because having them to help with resident workload to me means the program is at least somewhat supportive--instead of just making the residents work x extra hours a day.
(02-28-2017, 07:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 05:07 PM)Guest Wrote: It seems the bigger question is your "motivation" for implying that people who expressed their negative opinion about Sinai have an agenda that motivated them to make the posts. May be their experience was different from yours. Having PAs and NPs does not mean anything as many programs have them. Mt Sinai does have great surgeons and is a well regarded hospital....residency program, debatable.

Yes, I was definitely implying that the people writing these posts have an agenda. We see this all the time with the NYC/Chicago/LA/other big city programs. We also see students who get negative evaluations/letters for totally legitimate reasons turn around and trash the program online. 

Obviously everyone's experience and perception is different, but when someone says that they were "asked in almost every interview if mount sinai has a residency program" I don't really trust the rest of their rant. It's one thing to not have a strong reputation, but it's another for academic neurosurgeons to not know if your program exists entirely.  I was never asked this on interviews, but instead just what I thought of the place.

Again, every program has its pros and cons and one of the main purposes of this forum is to hash those out for applicants. However, we have to remain somewhat professional and level-headed in what we write because the decisions made based on these posts have a very real impact. 

If someone is slandering a program in ways that I feel are unwarranted, I can't help but provide the counter view, particularly when I saw no signs of "malignancy" and someone flat out calls it malignant on an anonymous forum. 

My comment regarding NP's/PA's is very relevant because having them to help with resident workload to me means the program is at least somewhat supportive--instead of just making the residents work x extra hours a day.
The question remains, why do you question their motives for having a different experience than yourself. Your half assed remark about big city programs is vague and panicked. Frankly, it appears as though you're a Mount Sinai insider.

And that's why these lists are so hard to take seriously.
(02-28-2017, 07:16 PM)Guest Wrote:

Please note that by your logic, you yourself could be considered by others as perhaps a current resident who is trying to hype his/her program. Maybe when you rotated there, a possible malignant senior resident was away or did not come into contact with you. Or perhaps while there you did not speak to a resident who has issues with their program. Maybe the previous posters had a different experience than yours. Also, many take to blemishing and exaggerations on these boards. For example calling a program malignant even if, in reality, they thought that it is just bad for them. Or you stating that it would have been your #1 except you did not think NYC was for you. Did you not know of NYC before signing up for the sub-I ? people choose their sub-Is to increase their chances to match and also to check out the programs that they are most interested in. Have not heard of any who rotate to see if the location is right. More tolerance please.
Classic meaningless neurosurgery applicant discussion
if you offer 100 dollars to a hundred people someone will refuse

Far and away my biggest gripe with this post is that you think Mt. Sinai is East Harlem. New York is clearly not for you, buddy.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)