Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to choose Subspeicality/Fellowship
I like all aspects of neurosurgery, but I realistically know that it is pretty much required to subspecialize. Any advice from chief residents/young attendings on how you chose your subspecialty?
Definitely not required if you go into community practice.
(05-23-2018, 10:12 AM)subspecialty Wrote: I like all aspects of neurosurgery, but I realistically know that it is pretty much required to subspecialize. Any advice from chief residents/young attendings on how you chose your subspecialty?

I chose shunts and wound washout because I trained at man's greatest hospital and best medical center.  As a resident, the only cases I was allowed to see were these, so that's all I know.
Choose in the same way you picked neurosurgery. Find a subspecality you enjoy and do a fellow ship in it. There is also nothing stopping you from doing more then one fellowship.
(01-26-2019, 05:55 PM)Guest Wrote: Choose in the same way you picked neurosurgery. Find a subspecality you enjoy and do a fellow ship in it. There is also nothing stopping you from doing more then one fellowship.

Only your wife, your bank account and common sense prevents multiple fellowships
(05-23-2018, 05:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 10:12 AM)subspecialty Wrote: I like all aspects of neurosurgery, but I realistically know that it is pretty much required to subspecialize. Any advice from chief residents/young attendings on how you chose your subspecialty?

I chose shunts and wound washout because I trained at man's greatest hospital and best medical center.  As a resident, the only cases I was allowed to see were these, so that's all I know.

awesome

(01-26-2019, 05:55 PM)Guest Wrote: Choose in the same way you picked neurosurgery. Find a subspecality you enjoy and do a fellow ship in it. There is also nothing stopping you from doing more then one fellowship.

more than one fellowship. lol
If you do more than one fellowship, does that raise any type of red flag or make you a less desirable hire as an attending?
(10-22-2019, 11:47 PM)NsurgPilot Wrote: If you do more than one fellowship, does that raise any type of red flag or make you a less desirable hire as an attending?

Can't think of why - only people who really do 2 fellowships are vascular folks (who need it to be complete), international folks (who need it for visa reasons), folks with subspecialties that are somehow complementary (e.g. spine/peripheral nerve), or...folks who still feel unprepared for practice after a residency and one fellowship.  That last group usually has other red flags as well...
it's 7 years...7 LONG years

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)