Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duty hours
I'm on a subI now and they routinely have the medical student violate duty hours.  Who do I report this to?
(05-26-2018, 03:14 PM)Boyscout Wrote: I'm on a subI now and they routinely have the medical student violate duty hours.  Who do I report this to?

Don't say anything if you want to match there Sad
(05-26-2018, 03:14 PM)Boyscout Wrote: I'm on a subI now and they routinely have the medical student violate duty hours.  Who do I report this to?

I hope this is a joke.

Straight to the chairman. Or in an open letter to the New York times. Or if that doesn't save you, you could always call the FBI.

LOL! youre funny man, you are a funny guy
FWIW I'm fairly sure that medical students aren't covered under federal duty hours laws. Some medical schools have rules though.
(05-26-2018, 04:28 PM)Trigger Wrote:

I hope this is a joke.

No joke.  This is serious business.  The lack of respect for trainees, and patients, is alarming.  The individuals in charge at there institutions should be removed from teaching and possibly barred from practicing medicine.
Report it to Trump publicly.
Sadly, I'm a chief resident, and over the past ~2 years, I've heard "burnout" and "duty hours" etc used more frequently. I haven't seen any major changes to any of our schedules, so maybe its just a millennial fad and hot publishing topic. But these words were taboo when I started.

Assuming this isn't a joke, I'd suggest reading Dr. Aaron Cohen-Gadol's post on sub-internships here:

https://www.neurosurgicalatlas.com/volumes/medical-student-guide-for-matching-in-neurosurgery/subinternships

Notably: "The same qualities that make someone a good third year medical student are vital to being a good subintern: reading up on patients and procedures, having a sound knowledge base, and being a helpful team player. However, the dedication expected of a subintern far exceeds that of any other rotation. Many subinterns have been known to work longer hours than the residents they work with; it is not unheard of to have a 120-hour week!"

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)