Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newly Accredited Programs
Is it true that an applicant has a better chance at matching at one of the recently accredited programs ?
Not necessarily. Places like Carolinas Medical Center and Mayo Jacksonville are very new but very, very competitive. Some of the newer programs like Inova, Beaumont, or Spectrum health could become similarly competitive quickly.
What’s the overall reputation of Mayo Jacksonville? Seems like a pretty sweet gig to me for residency
(06-17-2018, 11:01 AM)Guest Wrote: What’s the overall reputation of Mayo Jacksonville? Seems like a pretty sweet gig to me for residency

Rep is mixed.  They just started recently so we'll see how their graduating residents perform
(06-17-2018, 09:04 AM)Guest Wrote: Not necessarily. Places like Carolinas Medical Center and Mayo Jacksonville are very new but very, very competitive. Some of the newer programs like Inova, Beaumont, or Spectrum health could become similarly competitive quickly.

Very, very competitive? They're nice places but I wouldn't say that at all.
(06-17-2018, 10:33 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 09:04 AM)Guest Wrote: Not necessarily. Places like Carolinas Medical Center and Mayo Jacksonville are very new but very, very competitive. Some of the newer programs like Inova, Beaumont, or Spectrum health could become similarly competitive quickly.

Very, very competitive? They're nice places but I wouldn't say that at all.

Oh? Did you interview at both of these then?

All are trash
(06-24-2018, 12:42 PM)Guest Wrote:

All are trash

None of those listed are great.  They all do an ok job of teaching general neurosurgery.  Some may have extra in some fields.  They are average programs, neither good nor trash.  We need these.
I would recommend talking to rotators, residents, and attendings of these newly accredited programs to evaluate whether they fit your desired training experience. Dive deeper by way of subi, interview, second look to confirm for yourself if the program sounds appealing to you. There are big name programs with decades of training history that can’t even be consistently agreed to be “top teir” “average” “malignant” etc in these forums year-to-year. It’s unikely anonymous broad conclusions by individuals that are unlikely to be intimately aware of the specifics of these newly accredited programs will give a fair shake in terms of unique training opportunities they may offer.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)