Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UCLA
they are recruiting exciting new faculty from top programs
(07-02-2018, 04:44 PM)Guest Wrote: Anyone with recent information on the sub-i experience at UCLA?

Looking for remarks on clinical learning (shadowing vs hands on?), research opportunities, interview/rank chances after rotating -- but any details are appreciated.

A few clarifications: Martin was not forced out. He got an extremely good offer and the opportunity to shape an entire health care system.
Re: Won Kim and Richard Everson, both great attendings, but more junior faculty. Won Kim is more of a skull base surgeon. Rich Everson did the prestigious tumor fellowship at MD Anderson.

As for the subI: The residents were extremely friendly, and I found it to be a great experience. The subI's were invited to all the weekly conferences, including their monthly education day and monthly PD meetings (where the PD asks the residents to present 3 things they want to change every month, and he updates them on the progress of getting the prior month's tasks done). On the weeks where we didn't have a full day of education (anatomy lab, lectures, etc) the research residents would give their own mini-lectures on clinically relevant topics. They tried to give us exposure to Harbor (their county trauma hospital -- the operative experience there is AWESOME. It is all chief lead, huge amount of autonomy). Lots of complex cranial cases at the main site. More complex spine coming in with possible hire of a new spine attending (already one deformity trained attending from Shriners, Luke Macyszyn, at the main hospital and the elective spine hospital in Santa Monica). Hope this helps.
(03-20-2020, 06:24 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 04:44 PM)Guest Wrote: Anyone with recent information on the sub-i experience at UCLA?

Looking for remarks on clinical learning (shadowing vs hands on?), research opportunities, interview/rank chances after rotating -- but any details are appreciated.

A few clarifications: Martin was not forced out. He got an extremely good offer and the opportunity to shape an entire health care system.
Re: Won Kim and Richard Everson, both great attendings, but more junior faculty. Won Kim is more of a skull base surgeon. Rich Everson did the prestigious tumor fellowship at MD Anderson.

As for the subI: The residents were extremely friendly, and I found it to be a great experience. The subI's were invited to all the weekly conferences, including their monthly education day and monthly PD meetings (where the PD asks the residents to present 3 things they want to change every month, and he updates them on the progress of getting the prior month's tasks done). On the weeks where we didn't have a full day of education (anatomy lab, lectures, etc) the research residents would give their own mini-lectures on clinically relevant topics. They tried to give us exposure to Harbor (their county trauma hospital -- the operative experience there is AWESOME. It is all chief lead, huge amount of autonomy). Lots of complex cranial cases at the main site. More complex spine coming in with possible hire of a new spine attending (already one deformity trained attending from Shriners, Luke Macyszyn, at the main hospital and the elective spine hospital in Santa Monica). Hope this helps.

they are bringing down senior spine faculty from up north soon

Yo yo yo, anonymous random UCLA resident here. 

I’m not really sure you should choose your sub-Is based on the exact circumstances of the prior chair’s contract negotiations, or where a junior attending did his fellowship. But if people want to talk about that I guess it’s … whatever. (Won and Rich are both great, but I wouldn’t choose a program based on any particular attending - aneurysm clipping dudes included.)

In the spirit of trying to be helpful I can tell you some about how the rotation is set up and what we *try* to do, but you should track down our former sub-I’s to figure out if we’re actually successful. We have a great program and a great sub-I, and you should think about coming to check it out. Disclaimer: I’ve talked to zero of my co-residents/attendings about this post. You might get different opinions from different people, but I expect this is pretty non-controversial.

Our residents cover 5 sites (flagship main hospital - Ronald Reagan, county hospital trauma center - Harbor, the West-LA VA hospital, UCLA Santa Monica - a community hospital with mostly elective spine, and Kaiser Sunset), but sub-Is typically stay at our main hospital, which is a L1 trauma center with a busy service and has a good mix of complex elective cases, bread and butter neurosurgery, and trauma. You’ll take call with the on-call junior roughly q3-4 depending on how many sub-Is are on service, but we try to modify the schedule to make sure you’re present (and awake) for educational conferences and good cases. 

You’ll round with the team in the morning, mostly examining patients, but maybe briefly presenting a patient if you saw them overnight as a new consult. The main focus is being in the OR. Obviously what sub-Is do in the OR is dependent on the sub-I, the attending, the resident, and the patient, but in general we do a good job of getting your hands dirty and walking you through new skills. Good sub-Is usually tell us they’ve gotten to do more with us than on their other rotations. On-call you’ll see new consults and do procedures with the junior on-call; most of the floor work is handled by the interns and midlevels and you’re not really involved. We will work you hard because we want you to have a good experience that gives you a flavor of what it’s like to be a resident here, but I hope most subIs (even people that were not a good fit here) feel like they were treated with kindness and respect by residents who were interested in their development as budding neurosurgeons.

You’ll give two presentations while you’re here that give you a chance to shine: an informal clinical presentation of an upcoming case where attendings will do some light pimping about the imaging, diagnosis, and the surgical plan, and a more formal research presentation. Residents will practice both of these with you if you want; the vibe is that we want to help you look great. Occasionally people will go to clinic to get more face time with an attending, but it’s not a regular part of the rotation. New this year we’ve created a curriculum of sub-I didactic sessions led by our research residents that cover common bread-and-butter neurosurgery topics. Last year for the first time we experimented with interviewing all of our sub-Is during their rotations, so nobody had to come back during interview season. Jury is still out on whether we’ll stick with that.

Overall, if you want a sub-I at a busy operative place that is still strong from a research perspective you should think about spending some time with us. We’ve got an engaged and personable faculty, and a diverse resident cohort that gets along really well. Do your own research, but also reach out to any of our residents. We love our program; if you’re considering coming out to spend some time with us we’d be happy to discuss more details with you. 

- Anonymous random UCLA resident
(03-20-2020, 11:24 PM)Guest Wrote:

I’m not really sure you should choose your sub-Is based on the exact circumstances of the prior chair’s contract negotiations, or where a junior attending did his fellowship. But if people want to talk about that I guess it’s … whatever. (Won and Rich are both great, but I wouldn’t choose a program based on any particular attending - aneurysm clipping dudes included.)

In the spirit of trying to be helpful I can tell you some about how the rotation is set up and what we *try* to do, but you should track down our former sub-I’s to figure out if we’re actually successful. We have a great program and a great sub-I, and you should think about coming to check it out. Disclaimer: I’ve talked to zero of my co-residents/attendings about this post. You might get different opinions from different people, but I expect this is pretty non-controversial.

Our residents cover 5 sites (flagship main hospital - Ronald Reagan, county hospital trauma center - Harbor, the West-LA VA hospital, UCLA Santa Monica - a community hospital with mostly elective spine, and Kaiser Sunset), but sub-Is typically stay at our main hospital, which is a L1 trauma center with a busy service and has a good mix of complex elective cases, bread and butter neurosurgery, and trauma. You’ll take call with the on-call junior roughly q3-4 depending on how many sub-Is are on service, but we try to modify the schedule to make sure you’re present (and awake) for educational conferences and good cases. 

You’ll round with the team in the morning, mostly examining patients, but maybe briefly presenting a patient if you saw them overnight as a new consult. The main focus is being in the OR. Obviously what sub-Is do in the OR is dependent on the sub-I, the attending, the resident, and the patient, but in general we do a good job of getting your hands dirty and walking you through new skills. Good sub-Is usually tell us they’ve gotten to do more with us than on their other rotations. On-call you’ll see new consults and do procedures with the junior on-call; most of the floor work is handled by the interns and midlevels and you’re not really involved. We will work you hard because we want you to have a good experience that gives you a flavor of what it’s like to be a resident here, but I hope most subIs (even people that were not a good fit here) feel like they were treated with kindness and respect by residents who were interested in their development as budding neurosurgeons.

You’ll give two presentations while you’re here that give you a chance to shine: an informal clinical presentation of an upcoming case where attendings will do some light pimping about the imaging, diagnosis, and the surgical plan, and a more formal research presentation. Residents will practice both of these with you if you want; the vibe is that we want to help you look great. Occasionally people will go to clinic to get more face time with an attending, but it’s not a regular part of the rotation. New this year we’ve created a curriculum of sub-I didactic sessions led by our research residents that cover common bread-and-butter neurosurgery topics. Last year for the first time we experimented with interviewing all of our sub-Is during their rotations, so nobody had to come back during interview season. Jury is still out on whether we’ll stick with that.

Overall, if you want a sub-I at a busy operative place that is still strong from a research perspective you should think about spending some time with us. We’ve got an engaged and personable faculty, and a diverse resident cohort that gets along really well. Do your own research, but also reach out to any of our residents. We love our program; if you’re considering coming out to spend some time with us we’d be happy to discuss more details with you. 

Thank you for informative write-up. Any pearls of wisdom with regards to making an exceptional impression during the sub-i? Any qualities/characteristics that, in your mind, make an individual stand out? I'm aware of the general stuff (don't be an intolerable ass, work hard), and as you said, sub-i's have presentations to really make a solid impression. Any other advice would be appreciated.
(03-23-2020, 12:17 AM)ARMY-NSGY Wrote:

Thank you for informative write-up. Any pearls of wisdom with regards to making an exceptional impression during the sub-i? Any qualities/characteristics that, in your mind, make an individual stand out? I'm aware of the general stuff (don't be an intolerable ass, work hard), and as you said, sub-i's have presentations to really make a solid impression. Any other advice would be appreciated.

For sub-i's, I think more than anything, the keys are to be a humble, down-to-earth team player, prove you can work through long days without complaining, and generally be a nice person to spend time with. Humility extends to interviews - recognize that we are all signing up for something that we've only gotten a small taste of and don't have any material competence in yet. Let your app speak to your accomplishments (but be prepared to discuss them if directly asked), express gratitude to your mentors, and realize we're all very lucky to have people looking out for us. 
(03-23-2020, 12:21 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 12:17 AM)ARMY-NSGY Wrote:

For sub-i's, I think more than anything, the keys are to be a humble, down-to-earth team player, prove you can work through long days without complaining, and generally be a nice person to spend time with. Humility extends to interviews - recognize that we are all signing up for something that we've only gotten a small taste of and don't have any material competence in yet. Let your app speak to your accomplishments (but be prepared to discuss them if directly asked), express gratitude to your mentors, and realize we're all very lucky to have people looking out for us. 
whats going on with their spine recruitment?
why are you guys on warning status? re accreditation
bump!
Why are the Chairwoman and possibly PD leaving for a similar caliber program

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)