Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1 ave from 249 down to 245?
(05-05-2019, 01:46 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 01:21 PM)Guest Wrote: Could it be that they're realizing that the highest step scores don't always make the best residents?!?

I think neurosurgeons know that a high score isn't as important as it seems. You need to have a 240-250 to make some of the hard cutoffs like at Emory, Stanford, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, etc. I think letters and pedigree are more important than Step 1 i.e. a Hopkins/HMS/Penn/Stanford grad with letters from equivalent program chairs with a 245 will match better than a 260 no home program grad with a handful of clinical papers.
that's my experience on the trail. A strong pedigree helps.
(05-06-2019, 07:45 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 01:21 PM)Guest Wrote: Could it be that they're realizing that the highest step scores don't always make the best residents?!?

I think neurosurgeons know that a high score isn't as important as it seems. You need to have a 240-250 to make some of the hard cutoffs like at Emory, Stanford, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, etc. I think letters and pedigree are more important than Step 1 i.e. a Hopkins/HMS/Penn/Stanford grad with letters from equivalent program chairs with a 245 will match better than a 260 no home program grad with a handful of clinical papers.
that's my experience on the trail. A strong pedigree helps.

You should ask some of the residents at these programs what their step 1 scores were. I promise you that you would be very very surprised. As told to me on my away rotations at these places, most PDs at top 10 programs will tell you that step 1 only matters to a certain point. This year especially, Hopkins Penn Stanford took people below the score cutoff mentioned in those thread. It comes down to fit.
I matched to JHU with a 220
(05-06-2019, 09:36 AM)Guest Wrote: I matched to JHU with a 220

How long ago?

Umm... Cleveland Clinic and Mayo definitely do NOT have cutoffs of >240. I know people that matched at both with scores

(05-07-2019, 01:43 PM)Guest Wrote:

Umm... Cleveland Clinic and Mayo definitely do NOT have cutoffs of 240. I know people that matched at both with scores under 240. Could be true about Emory and Stanford though.

Umm... Cleveland Clinic and Mayo definitely do NOT have cutoffs of >240. I know people that matched at both with scores

Umm... Cleveland Clinic and Mayo definitely do NOT have cutoffs of 240. I know people that matched at both with scores under 240. Could be true about Emory and Stanford though.

Emory has a strict >240 cutoff for their away rotation since they interview you while you’re there. I believe that would imply that they have >240 for interviews as well, but I know people who didn’t do aways with <240 who got interviews there. All the big name universities, contrary to the information given on this site, have or take people <240. The higher the score, the better chance you have, but the idea that step 1 is the decider leads high scorers to be disappointed when their high score doesn’t get them the match they think they deserve

I know for sure CC's is >240. That doesn't mean it's a 100% no exceptions cut off. I'm sure there's a home student everyone loves with <240, or someone that got a sub-i because their home chair called and they're <240. But i've heard the PD say they have a high cut off, so in general <240 doesn't usually get an interview

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)