Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.57 Average
Unaffiliated Home Sub-I
I'm planning out my sub-I's and we don't have a true "home program" at our school. The M4 neurosurgery rotation we can do through our school is at the large suburban teaching hospital we rotate through for many things. They have residencies in IM and other things, but not one in neurosurgery. Closest they are to an NSG residency is one of the other programs in the city has their residents rotate through for a few month block I beleive, but they are not technically faculty at that residency.

Should I still do a rotation here, or is it a waste of a month I could be doing a sub-I somewhere with a residency program? 

Would a letter from these attendings be of any use?
I had a similar situation as you and I used this Sub-I as practice for my real sub-Is, I got great experience and ended up working with one neurosurgeon a lot. He knew me very well and wrote a stellar LOR that I used and got many compliments on during my interviews. I also did 2 other real sub-Is and got letters from there to satisfy the PDs who only read letters from the people they know.

Everyone's situation is different though, good luck.
(04-18-2017, 04:30 PM)Guest Wrote: I had a similar situation as you and I used this Sub-I as practice for my real sub-Is, I got great experience and ended up working with one neurosurgeon a lot. He knew me very well and wrote a stellar LOR that I used and got many compliments on during my interviews. I also did 2 other real sub-Is and got letters from there to satisfy the PDs who only read letters from the people they know.

Everyone's situation is different though, good luck.

Thanks for your input!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)